Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,290   Online: 789

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    In return for the unrestricted use of my image(s) as granted to (production company)...
    "unrestricted use" is tantamount to assigning copyright to them. Is that what you want? Licensing agreements typically specify restricted use in terms of limited types of use and duration. For a primer, see my article: PhotoBiz – Licensing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Run. Screaming. In the opposite direction. NEVER transfer unlimited usage rights to anyone without a HUGE check attached. Remember those Calvin Klein underwear ads from the 1980s? The iconic ones of the guy in white briefs leaning up against a white stucco sculpture/thingie? Bruce Weber shot those, and they ran them with no attribution or credit to Bruce. But he also got a $1 Million check per ad. THAT is worth it. 25% of profits? WHAT profits? And if they manipulate it enough, how will you be able to be sure it was your image they're exhibiting, or if it can be considered transformative use not derivative? (Derivative use means they owe you $$$$ - transformative means it is changed enough to qualify as a new work and not bound by copyright restrictions). They approached you on Flickr because they figure you're an easily scammed amateur. Don't be. Just say NO.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I once sold an image of some chipmunks for $1,500 with sole ownership rights to the company, but that was because I didn't give a rats ass about the image itself (pocket digi shot)--evenso, with anything I actually consider my art, I would never agree to that.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the same boat on the image, its just a pocket shot from my cannon. It was the unrestricted ability to modify the image and asking from my ssn that really perked my ears up - i looked at the forms I filled out for contests and even generic forms on the I-nets and never do they ask for that. The, apparently, female Rael Cohen seems to be a real person in any case (look her up - she has some nice photos in any event). I did what an earlier post suggested and asked for a number to call them at - we'll see what happens, at this point I am curious how long I can drag it out before they either stop talking or act professional. lol
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an incidentally, by interesting - I mean kinda hot. ahahaha... http://www.communityzoe.com/cgi-bin/check_who.cgi?Rael - they are nice photos though.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Bruce Weber shot those, and they ran them with no attribution or credit to Bruce. But he also got a $1 Million check per ad.
    I would have done it for just the one payment (but being English, it would have to be a cheque!).

Steve.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scammers sometimes use the names of real people, somewhat obscure real people, but real people none the less. I would want a street address to go with that phone number.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This has nothing to do with usage rights, unlimited or not. It has nothing to do with photography. Once they have your SSN and your name to go with it you'll never hear from them again. It's a classic phishing scam, designed for the sole purpose of stealing personally identifiable information.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an incidentally, by interesting - I mean kinda hot. ahahaha... http://www.communityzoe.com/cgi-bin/check_who.cgi?Rael - they are nice photos though.
    Websense blocked due to nudity. Must be VERY interesting.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in the same boat on the image, its just a pocket shot from my cannon.
    The company obviously realises that and want to help you out. Nice people like that have always been around trying to help others out - it is just that there seems to be so many more of them now that we are more reachable via the touch of a key board

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin