Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,421   Online: 851

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Scammers sometimes use the names of real people, somewhat obscure real people, but real people none the less. I would want a street address to go with that phone number.
    That's my guess, too. This sound like a scam.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Draw out what information you can from them, then turn them over to your whatever authorities you deem appropriate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a chance, albeit a small chance, that this person is on the level but I wouldn't count on it.

The e-book publishing business is far from a professional field. Any idiot that thinks he's got something to say can publish an e-book. The barriers to entry are a lot lower. Like digital photography, digital publishing attracts a lot of wankers who only know enough to be dangerous.

This could be one of those wankers or it could be a crook. In either case, you should still be careful. Make the person cross every "T" and dot every "I." If he does anything that is the slightest bit hinky, call him on it. If you don't like the answer you get, tell them to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.

Who knows? This could be a genuine opportunity to make a buck. Just don't let that opportunity cloud your judgment.

As I said, before, I would get a land line phone number to call them back on. I would get a physical address that's not just a postal drop or a rented office cubicle. I would make them put everything down on paper, hard copy, and sign it with pen and ink.

Look at it this way. It's not like you've lost any money if you tell them to take a hike. You never had any money in the first place but, if this is a crooked operation, you could stand to lose a lot more than money.

Treat this as if it COULD BE a genuine offer but look at it with a jaundiced eye.

BTW: I have an idea...

Instead of a straight percentage of sales, why not ask for a "guarantee vs. percentage?"
    In other words, ask them for a flat fee, up front, if their sales don't top a certain figure and a specified percent of the "overage" on sales that go over that figure.

For example, your "guarantee" would be $500. You get paid that much up front, no matter what their sales are. Then, if the sales go over, say, $2000 you would get 20% of anything that goes over $2000.

This ensures that you get paid something up front and they can't cook the books and screw you out of paying anything. Then, they get the benefit of paying a lower percentage on future sales. Hopefully, that will give them less incentive to tinker with their sales figures.

This is the way a lot of independent movies are booked in theaters. The theater pays a flat guarantee fee to get the print on-screen but, if the movie tanks and they don't sell any tickets, they aren't on the hook for more money than they have already paid. They only pay more if the movie makes more than a predetermined amount. Then, it is only a percentage of the gate, based on what both parties agree upon.

I don't know if it will work but, what the hell... It's worth a shot.
    If they really are on the up-and-up, they'll negotiate on that. If they don't want to negotiate or, at least, make a counter offer, you'll know that, more likely than not, they are crooks that you probably don't want to do business with, anyway.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 09-14-2011 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the end I politely declined, I have never had to give out my ssn before for something like that and I don't intend to now. The person did respond but didn't give me a phone number so that's that. Though I do get the impression that she might be the person that she says she is (lovely looking lady and a fine model based on the pics I have seen)

Keep your eye out for Avena Productions - who knows, maybe I just lost my ticket to fame an fortune?
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got as far as "unrestricted use" and stopped reading right there. My understanding is that legitimate users will want to license the image for specific usage(s).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    an incidentally, by interesting - I mean kinda hot. ahahaha... http://www.communityzoe.com/cgi-bin/check_who.cgi?Rael - they are nice photos though.
    Ah, but is Rael real?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My understanding is that legitimate users will want to license the image for specific usage(s).
    That's the way it was before digi.
    Now, photography has no worth so they expect unlimited in perpetuity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Ah, but is Rael real?
    Yes Rael is real, most definitely.

And female, most definitely.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re the original question...

I would not even respond to the inquiry. Just delete it.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    The text: In return for the unrestricted use of my image(s) as granted to (production company), I shall receive a pro
    rata share of 25% of net profits generated by Avena Productions from all sales of my image(s).
    Any profit sharing agreement like this is not legitimate business. Such "profits" can't be defined and they can't be audited.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin