Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,014   Online: 661

Shooter
    Multi Format

bulk loading question

Approximately how many 20 exposure rolls can I get from a 100' roll?

Thanks , Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be anywhere from 25-32ish rolls depending on how much leader you pull out. Keep in mind, making a bunch of smaller rolls will waste a bit more film than fewer longer rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I load 24 exposure rolls, and get 24 rolls from one 100' bulk roll.

I use an Alden/Watson type loader
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    20 1/2 rolls @ 36 exp. ea.

I cut the threading leaders a bit short. Probably a 1/3 less than what you get on factory loaded cartridges.

I used to mark the number of rolls used on the label as I used them but, now, I just watch how much developer I have left. I know I get 20 rolls out of a gallon of D-76 @ 1:1. When the developer gets low, my film is getting low.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    20 exposures is nearly 33 inches, allowing for frame margins . Then allow about 4 inches exposed for taping around the spindle in daylight and most bulk loaders suggest 5 frames to be counted before counting actual frames.

So 33 +4 +7.5( 5 frames) = 45 inches. In a 100ft roll there is 1200 inches so 1200 divided by say 45 inches = 26 rolls with a bit to spare. A bit more than 26 if you can load the cassettes in darkness but don't forget that even if the film never sees the light when loading the camera "wastes " a few frames when it loads, hence the 5 frames that the loader instructions suggest before counting. Manual winding camersa waste very little to get to frame 1 but autos waste quite a few inches.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With unperforated 35mm bulk film used in 126 cartidges or 828 rolls you get more! No need for leaders or trailers with the paper backing.

With my old manual 35mm cameras I can load in the dark and shoot at S, 00, 0... 37, 38, 39, 40 if I want but my auto cameras waste a huge leader and refuse to shoot past 36... worse, once in a while they'll decide that a bulk cassette with no DX markings is a 24 roll instead of 36 and rewind early Once you include the sprocket holes and edges, 135 is a really wasteful format. Convenient, great AF, high speed drive, etc. but very wasteful by film area.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    With unperforated 35mm bulk film used in 126 cartidges or 828 rolls you get more! No need for leaders or trailers with the paper backing.
    Can you elaborate. Are you using 126 carts in a manual camera.
    Excuse my ignorance but I've never come across 126 but do have a line on cheap unperffed 135mm.

edit: okay I just looked it up.

What I'm getting at is, is there a way to use unperfed 135 in a 35mm manual camera?
    I think this was debated at least once before... but you need one of the CanonEOS that can advance without sprockets?
    Last edited by brucemuir; 09-24-2011 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Can you elaborate. Are you using 126 carts in a manual camera.
    Excuse my ignorance but I've never come across 126 but do have a line on cheap unperffed 135mm.
    Off topic now (sorry, my fault) but yes, I use reloaded 126 cartridges in a nice old Kodak Instamatic 500 (38mm f/2.8-22 Schneider Kruzenach Xenar lens, B-1/500 Compur shutter, Gossen light meter, hot shoe and PC cord sync'd at all speeds, tripod socket). You get over 35 rolls of 126-24 out of 100' of bulk film, even more rolls of 828-8.

You can also use unperforated film in the Canon EOS 10S which works well aside from the factors I listed above.

Using unperforated Rollei Retro 400S I have modern black and white film in 126 again though old Verichrome Pan VP126 works better to be honest. The Rollei emulsion scratches really easily.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Harry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your responses.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin