Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,088   Online: 1232

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Kodak and Ektagraph projectors are part of an extensive and versatile system. This means trays, accessories, and repair parts are more available than for other brands. They, and projection screens, are also sometimes available at little cost in second-hand stores and elsewhere. Shipping may be more expensive than the item itself when buying online.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, you shoot both 35mm and mf so the projector will need to handle both which the one you asked about does. I have 2 projectors as I also shoot both, a Kodak Carosal and a rare Polaroid. I'd suggest finding a MF projector as you ain't seen nothing until you see a mf transparency projected but it will spoil you to the point that 35mm is not worth shooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    I have 2 projectors as I also shoot both, a Kodak Carosal and a rare Polaroid.
    I didn't realize a Polaroid projector was a RARE item.
    I have one with two lenses and two slide carriers.
    It was made for Polaroid by American Optical Co,

RE: screens as a poster mentioned a DALITE or RADIANT brand matte White is the best, IMHO

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 30 + year old Leitz Pradovit Color (don't recall the number) that has hardly been used. It is very sharp and bright. It does not take carousels and I rarely take personal slides now. I also have a couple of combo projector/viewer units for slides I take in my dental practice. If you can find one it might fit your needs. One is a Kodak Ektagraphic model 260AF and the other is a Telex Caramate 4000. They are identical other than the case color and were most likely made by the same company and re-branded. They have worked perfectly for very many years and if you can find one it probably costs very little. Check with some AV companies they may have one gathering dust on a shelf.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    What about a Kodak Carousel 4200? Are they any good. Found one in my local craigslist but the selling is asking for $250 as he claims that it is in mint condition...
    Thanks,
    Cheuwi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cheuwi View Post
    What about a Kodak Carousel 4200? Are they any good. Found one in my local craigslist but the selling is asking for $250 as he claims that it is in mint condition...
    Thanks,
    Cheuwi
    That is way too high for a Carousel 4200.

As a comparison (at the other end of the country) a Carousel 4600 for $40:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...605178517.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a CL listing that includes a free one - no details though:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/2628655492.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Matt... really appreciate it. I tried to get a reasonable price for these things but they seem to be all over the map on ebay.
    I have contacted the toronto CL list that you pointed to but have not heard back.
    I will keep looking... thanks again.
    Cheuwi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rszumski View Post
    I haven't tried the projector you mention, but I did go through searching for a slide projector just over a year ago. I ended up, after much research, going for a used Leica Pradovit P300-IR with a Colorplan lens. The contrast, sharpness and brightness of the projected image is outstanding and worlds ahead of the Kodak and Rollei models I did a direct comparison with.
    That will depend on WHICH Rollei you did the comparison against,andwhat lens it was fitted with. The Leica Pradovit P300 (and its bigger p600 brother) is a noisy, clunky, badly-designed piece of prehistoric junk compared to the final generation of Rollei projectors - the twin lens dissolve models like the MSC 300. Look inside a P600, and you realise it basically hasn't changed since the late 1960s - it is just a 1950s-style manual projector with a lot of levers and rubber bands and flywheels added to turn in into an automatic one.
    Last edited by scribblescribble; 11-10-2011 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll throw in my 2 cents for a kodak as well. The carousel projectors are quite common, so you could find one (working too) at a garage sale, craigslist, or a thrift store/consignment shop.
    A guy down the street from me has one he was looking to essentially give away, with a few trays and all. Some appear in my local classefieds, but never sell (as people forget they have lost all value.)
    I personally use a Keystone 770, have enjoyed it enough to want to replace it. It uses carousel type trays, but SIDEWAYS, and the automatic advance is push the button top remove the slide and advance the tray, then manually push the slide lever back in to load the next slide.
    If you want the best of the best of the best, then an absolute top of the line Rollei, Leica or Hasselblad projector will be what you want.
    If you shoot medium format and want a projector that can handle that, then all I know of is Mamiya apparently makes a slide projector, and there is Götschmann as well.
    But, seriously, Carousel is very good for what they usually cost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin