Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,048   Online: 881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse GAS?

Shooter
    35mm
    I went through the reverse GAS thing a few years back and now have just one SLR body and three lenses.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am now down to a Nikon F2 with a 50, and in medium format a Rolleiflex which I had to rebuy/refund (film transport issue). But I have the big hurdle left: a throng of LF cameras that I need to do something about. When I started out in photography, I wanted to be like Ansel Adams. Big honking camera, f64, and grand vistas with rolling clouds... but ten years later, I am still in the backyard. I have been dabbling in LF, in fits and starts. I have two 5x7s and then for some reason, I just had to have a 4x5 too... Too much stuff and nothing done. I have to downsize. So now, it's a sort of internal wrestling match for me, which way to turn at the crossroads.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember tho, for every one reverse GAS there must be at least one suffering from GAS. You cannot have one without the other.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Remember tho, for every one reverse GAS there must be at least one suffering from GAS. You cannot have one without the other.
    I hope you're right, but it seems like a lot of nice stuff goes begging these days. And the oddest things seem to stay desirable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ditto on just about just everything said above!

As I have approached retirement age (and beyond but still working) it just seems that keeping so much stuff around is more of a burden that a pleasure. Maybe it is just mental because I do have the the room to store it but it is a burden nevertheless.

Now to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. That is the question!

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Jerevan;1247148 I have two 5x7s and then for some reason, I just had to have a 4x5 too... Too much stuff and nothing done.[/QUOTE]

Large format is a particular dilemma for me. Need a couple Cirkut Cameras? I guess I don't really mind so much having them laying around so much since I've made my living with the Cirkut for over 25 years. They've paid for their keep. Still, I remember how I struggled to find (and pay for) them. I don't know if anybody still buys Cirkuts today.

I love to shoot with 8x10 more than any other format, but just don't have much motivation for it these days (just usually can't think of things I want to shoot in that format). I intend to keep my Deardorff at least for show and tell since I do some presentations on the work Walker Evans did in my area (w/Deardorff).

The odd part is that the best picture I've made in the past year was with the Deardorff, in spite of very little use for it, and many rolls of 35mm and 120.

I had a show a few years back with about 65 pictures. Looking at them all in one place made me realize how much I used 35 to 50mm (or equivalent) lenses. Most of the pictures could have been shot with either focal length. I think two shots were with slightly longer lenses, and none with shorter focal lengths. I think having just a Rollei, or a Leica w/35mm would make me a better photographer. Still, I have fun with the other stuff and get the occasional good picture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gave myself a little exercise this past weekend on my vacation - although I took four lenses with me, I only shot two of them, and I took one, maybe two shots with the second lens, out of 45 or so (this was with my 5x7). I think I could pretty easily confine myself to shooting one lens, one format (although it might well be whole plate not 5x7, except for the absolute lack of color film for whole plate). Ok- I couldn't do just one format - I've got several that I love, but it wouldn't kill me to have just one or two lenses per format. I'm actually going to be selling off a bunch of lenses soon from my 4x5 outfit as that's another size I really don't use much, and my 8x10 camera (another format I rarely use). It's time to simplify and winnow the herd so I can focus (pun intended) on making images, not playing with toys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well now, funny y'all should bring it up because I could definitely use a few more 4x5 lenses and an 8x10 camera. The 4x5 lenses that I have are limited in movement because they are from several Graphics but they don't translate well to a field camera when movement is needed. And I have a desperate need for 8x10 for doing larger contact prints as well as wet plate and Degaureotypes. I have noticed that I am not getting the clarity of detail from my contact prints and I want to see if going bigger helps plus I want the larger size. My 4x5 negs are falling off when I do any architectural shots and even some of my landscapes. If either of you would be willing to donate to a worthy cause You see, I can come up with plenty of reasons why I need more.

My wife has gotten to the point where she starts checking with our small town PO if I get rid of one camera,she knows that several more will be coming to live with us.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been selling a lot of gear lately. First I got rid of all of my rangefinder gear. I had everything from fixed lens Olympus rangefinders up to Canon P's and Leicas. Unfortunately RF is not my cup of tea. Then I sold all my other 135mm gear except my three Nikon bodies (two AF one MF) and three Nikkor lenses. I just felt I had too much gear. I still need to sell one or two TLR cameras.

I don't want more gear. What I want is one good image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! Last year I was in reverse-GAS mode as well, but it was to *invest* in a new format.

However, i've since stabilized the selling/buying and am just buying consumables except for a new carbon fiber tripod and new-to-me ballhead. I am tempted to buy another lens or 2 for my RB67, but am not giving in to it and am instead trying to work on skill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin