Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,243   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse GAS?

Shooter
    Large Format

Reverse GAS?

I'm just getting back to the darkroom after a few months of doing digi stuff for jobs.

While I wasn't paying attention, the film cameras here have been multiplying to the point it is becoming a distraction from shooting. So now I have the opposite of GAS, I'm obsessed with getting some of this stuff out of here so I can concentrate. It is unbelievable the great gear available for next to nothing now, but I think I have to develop some willpower to resist.

The Rolleicords are going on the block (since I've got flexes), but other stuff I just can't figure out what to do with. Latest is a Nikon F80 (N80). It is an amazing piece of gear, but I'm still mostly back in the pre-AI days with Nikon.

I'm just curious if others here suffer from reverse GAS. I often think I would make better pictures with a single camera and lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did the same thing about a year ago. I gave almost everything away to friends that were just getting into film and since have really blossomed. I needed to narrow it down to one system to perfect rather than 30 to tinker with.

So uh....whatcha gonna do with that Nikon????
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I did the same thing about a year ago. I gave almost everything away to friends that were just getting into film and since have really blossomed. I needed to narrow it down to one system to perfect rather than 30 to tinker with.

So uh....whatcha gonna do with that Nikon????
    I'm open to suggestions, but don't want to turn this into a fishing thread, so I'll PM you.

I'd love to play with the F80, but I don't have any lenses I want to use on it. That was today's distraction - shopping around locally, and calling a couple friends about lenses for a camera I don't really need. But it does seem cool!

I wish I knew some folks interested in film around here, but can only think of one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh no, I meant it teasingly. I seriously gave away 12 cameras and think they all deserved their new homes. Where are you?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Oh no, I meant it teasingly. I seriously gave away 12 cameras and think they all deserved their new homes. Where are you?
    West Virginia.

One of the older photo stores in the state (Merrill Photo in Charleston) had a going out of business auction last Sunday. I was curious to go see what was there, but didn't want to risk dragging more stuff home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been toying with the idea of putting on a photography swap meet and selling spaces to vendors all in a vain attempt to offload... Uh find new homes for some of my camera gear. I have been pretty successful selling a lot of the cameras that I only had a few lenses for. Some went to help out college students and a couple more went to some friends of mine that have shown an interest in photography. Only keeping the cameras that I have a bunch of lenses for doesn't really mean that much because that only gets me down to Konica, Minolta and my recent acquisition of a Nikon F with a bunch of lenses and the Nikon S2 with the only three lenses that I really need for a RF. And that is just the SLR systems, it's much harder to get rid of my TLR's, medium format SLR's, large format cameras and those that I consider collector/users. So that still leaves me with a lot of cameras to maintain and use.

And before I get flamed, I know the S2 is not an SLR.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, guitstik;

Nah, you are not going to be flamed; there is even a section right here on APUG for rangefinder cameras. And the Nikon S2 was a very serious camera back in the 1950s or so. If you get inside the S2 and the Nikon F, you will note a very strong family lineage between the two of them. No problem, and enjoy the S2.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm

Reverse NAS

I sold all of my Nikon gear, digital and film. Too much stuff and too heavy. I kept the Leicas and a few lenses for it. Then I bought a Minolta X700 and 200MM on EBay! Go figure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've been selling off a fair amount as I figured out what sort of cameras work best for me. I've come to accept that I love rangefinders love them for 35mm. I love the idea of using a higher end one but have the hardest time letting myself spend that much money on a camera - even though they're a bargain compared to original prices. I was hoping saving up money from sales would let me do it guilt free but evidently it doesn't work that way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some of my pictures that I like most were taken with my first self-owned camera, a Konica A4 p&s (very similar to the later Big Mini non-zoom). I'm still wondering if that high proportion of success is down to
    - the simplicity of having one camera and having to make do with that,
    - youthful creativeness and 'naivety' that have since slipped away,
    - nostalgia that makes older photographs look better than they are.
    A bit of everything I suppose.

In any case, reverse GAS seems like an enviable affliction. A pandemic wouldn't hurt the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin