Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,822   Online: 842

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get it... The author says a Zeiss sonnar is a descendent of a rapid rectilinear in part one and then a triplet in part two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I don't get it... The author says a Zeiss sonnar is a descendent of a rapid rectilinear in part one and then a triplet in part two.
    Yeah, that's a bit confusing. I think it stems from the fact that the Tessar is sort of a hybrid of the two designs---it's a triplet with the rear element replaced with a cemented group, and then on the other hand it's a RR with both elements replaced by groups (one cemented, the other not)---and the Sonnar certainly has some noticeable Tessar DNA. The same thing happens with the Elmar---it's listed in Part 1 as a Tessar derivative under the RR section, then in Part 2 as a triplet derivative.

The article acknowledges the ambiguity of the Tessar in Part 1, but kind of fudges around it in Part II. Maybe the attempt to keep the article simple went a little too far and obscured the fact that many lenses have more than one "ancestor".

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Maybe the attempt to keep the article simple went a little too far and obscured the fact that many lenses have more than one "ancestor".

-NT
    Yes, agree. *Oversimplifying* is actually more confusing than giving the more detailed but less ambiguous answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    The Zeiss Sonnar uses both the rapid retilinear and the triplet. The triplet is in the middle of the rapid rectilinear.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin