Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,635   Online: 664

Shooter
    Medium Format

the 7.95 safelight

The 7.95 safelight

A couple of weeks ago I got a used safelight for 7.95 on Ebay to fill a gap in the lighting in my darkroom
    Yesterday I got online an ad for warrantee insurance for the 7.95 safelight.! After I stopped laughing I clicked on it the heck of it .Seems that the average life of digital cameras and other digital equipment is about 3 years before they break down . My”newest”cameras are over 20 years old!! And I have had Yashica D’s that I first bought used while I was in the Navy in the 50s. I just had a Yashica Electro GSN and a OM1 CLA by KEH and I fully expect them to outlast me.
    Lets hear it for Analog!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Century 46 is 109 and going strong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The world in general these days is disposable and trite. That 'Steven Spielberg & Martin Scorsese' post sums it up pretty well, the difference in execution and motivation from then to now. No one has to commit to anything in their art anymore, they just ctrl+z and the error is gone. Artists used to have to live and work around accidents. More care was given. Bah!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperrein View Post
    No one has to commit to anything in their art anymore, they just ctrl+z and the error is gone!
    That's because America has become a nation of gypsies; always quick to pack up and move on (run away). Roots are for the Old Fashioned. This is why, the Insurance Industry has found, people are more willing to stop payments on a mortgage than on an auto loan. The home, once a sacred thing, is now just an investment vehicle to flip ASAP. As long as you have that car you can 'light out for the frontier'. Only there is no frontier anymore, is there. It's all used up.

(It bears mentioning that as soon as developing nations get that oil in their veins they're hell bent on following suite.)

s-a

PS - Don't forget the 'kill %1'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Semi-ambivalent may have a point there. It does seem that we may have become a nation of "modular replacement" if you do not like the current model. In advertising, the goal there obviously is to get people to want the most recent offerings, regardless of whether or not the older one the person has is still functioning perfectly, and often the new ones do not really offer any improvements he can use. Unfortunately, this concept seems to extend even to "domestic relationships" where the willingness to throw away the current model and get a "new one" seems to have become the new "norm," regardless of who it hurts and the effects on children. The only real winners in those events are called "lawyers."

Here I seem to be far behind the current trends: I am still using film. The car I am driving is now 20 years old with just over 350,000 miles on it. Some of my radios were made in the middle 1950s. One of my cats is pushing 20 years old. Is it possible that I may be considered to be un-American because of my failure to help push along the nation's economy?

However, I am having my cameras put through a CLA. I am still buying film and I am doing what I can to keep my local camera repair shop in business. Isn't that enough?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post

Here I seem to be far behind the current trends: I am still using film. The car I am driving is now 20 years old with just over 350,000 miles on it. Some of my radios were made in the middle 1950s. One of my cats is pushing 20 years old. Is it possible that I may be considered to be un-American because of my failure to help push along the nation's economy?

However, I am having my cameras put through a CLA. I am still buying film and I am doing what I can to keep my local camera repair shop in business. Isn't that enough?
    Use it up,
    wear it out,
    make it do,
    do without.

Ya ol' fogie.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post

Ralph:

What about the cat?!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin