Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,231   Online: 829

Thread: Flying...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flying...

Ugh! I know... its another flying thread. BUT! I've done my research. I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.

I was just reading all the rules here:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1035.shtm

It states:

The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800
    So because my film is 400 and 100, if it happens to go through the X-Ray machine, say because I still have 34 exposures left in the camera, the X-Ray machine will NOT hurt it correct? I'm planning on requesting hand inspection for my zip lock bag of film, but I'm going to have to put the cameras through.

The reason that I posted another thread on flying is because at the top of the TSA page it says this:

Never place undeveloped film in your checked baggage, our security equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.
    ... which is a direct contradiction to the first statement. Will it hurt it the first time, or does it take 5 times or more to affect undeveloped film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The machines used for checked baggage (i.e. the stuff going in the hold) give off a much higher dose of radiation than the machines used for carry on luggage. So no contradiction there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    duh... sorry. I didn't even catch the difference. I was reading too fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I thought this thread was going to be about this great song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uI0U5f9mDw

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never heard of him Matt, but had to Google him. I'm kinda diggin that song!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long John Baldry was a very interesting singer/musician. He spent the last years of his life living here in the Vancouver area of BC. I still consider one of his shows/concerts as the best I have ever seen.

I met him a couple of times, including an during an interview for a print publication (I was the photographer). He was both very interesting, and incredibly personable.

The song I linked to comes from his "It Ain't Easy" album. That album is one of two that both Elton John and Rod Stewart contributed greatly to. Both were his proteges (of sorts). When Elton John chose that name as his stage name, the "John" part was in recognition of John Baldry.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin