Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 920

Shooter
    35mm

Need Vuescan Help

I'm new to Vuescan, just trying it out. I have a number of questions. (and yes I went through the manual but couldn't get this stuff).

1. When I scan an image it doesn't match the crop I selected. I got threw and make a "preview". Than I put "frame number" to "1" and go to the "crop tab". There I set "crop size" to manual and make that 24x36. Than I change the "offsets" to match up with the frame. I do this for all the frames. However when I click "scan" than the first frame isn't in a 3:2 ratio. So its not using the crops I selected.

2. Next I found the "lock exposure" trick on flickr. Does everyone use this? If so how does it work? I just go to an additional frame number (if I have 5 frames that actually have pictures I select them through the crop method described above than go to frame 6), and than select an area between frames and hit "lock exposure" and I'm set? Or is there more too it than that?

3. Finally using the lock exposure method described above is there any disadvantage to it? Some frames are pretty dark and I would probably be lifting shadows in LR3. Is it better to have them scanned so that the shadows are lifted? Will this reduce noise or anything? Will the lock exposure method + lift in LR create more noise or anything? If so is there a better way to set the exposure for each frame and avoid too many blown highlights?

If you got here thanks for reading through this giant post.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You might want to head over to DPUG.org were the hybrid process folks hang out. Scanners aren't a topic that gets discussed around here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Haha thanks,
    didn't know you guys were such purists

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might get a warmer reception at photo.net.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Albino_BlacMan View Post
    Haha thanks,
    Self preservation Without this place, the ONLY purely analog site on the net we'ed be inundated with digitalk.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Albino_BlacMan View Post
    Haha thanks,
    Ah, that's nothing. The real analog purists maintain a forum by written letter.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    ahahahah
    he shoots,
    he scores!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Works for John Coffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin