Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,499   Online: 928

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of my commercial clients recently switched all of their warehouse lighting from sodium vapor lamps (which made the place look like the devil's den) to some new super bright daylight florescent tubes that are really incredible. We shoot rugs in their warehouse, and I could barely see the color of the rug under the old SVs. With the new lighting they match my monitor perfectly; it's amazing.

I'll see if I can get the specs from the lighting guys. They did say the tubes were not something you can get at Lowe's Depot, only at a commercial lighting distributor.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Home Depot has stores in Canada. Near me they carry a Phillips F40T12/C50 Colortone 4 ft fluorescent tube. The C50 is for color temperature of 5000, and their CRI is 92. They are about 10-15 points green when shot on Ektachrome. Not too bad. I think they're under $5 per lamp.

CRI over 90 is considered good for industrial color matching of fabrics, paints, etc. You can search for and find online some fluorescents with CRI 98, but those are hard to find and much more expensive.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...looks like I have some homework to do on lights. Thanks guys.

Actually, I shoot 99.9% black and white, so I'm not sure how much the colour matching is going to matter to me, but I do have some slides I'd probably like to go over at some point since I have the equipment to view lots of them at a time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you shoot B&W, a light table is IMHO not nearly as important. B&W is best previewed with a contact sheet or similar whereas for chromes, you gotta get an (accurate) light under them.

(unless you're doing B&W reversal; I'll shut up)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin