Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,620   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Scanners&Software

Any (attemps of) scanning is done on the Mrs' Epson 610 scanner which is wired to her Mac. The drivers came with the scanner and a software called "Hotsots". The scanner works (mostly) but the software dives me crazy!
    (If you've heard this from me before, feel free to skip to the next paragraph)
    I scan, then "save as" a ".jpeg". No problem, it saves. Unfortunately, it really saves it a ".jpg.hotshots.doc" Which means YES, it is an image file, but ONLY hotshots will reconize, and open it.

After a couple of year of fighting this(and humbily losing) I have decided on 2 things.
    1> I will ask one last time if anyone, and I mean anyone can tell me why (for the love of god why!) this *&#$! program does this and how I can stop it in the future, or
    2> NEW SOFTWARE!

What computer/scanner/software combo do you use? Any recommendations?
    Please help!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi there

if you are on a mac, you might just click on the name twice- slowly - so you can just change the name to whatever you want to change it to ...

or if you don't like the driver you are using, check out vuescan.
    it is pretty inexpensive, and when you buy it you'll get unlimited upgrades (for life!). i checked the site http://www.hamrick.com and the epson 610 is listed.

when i had a acer scanner i got vuescan, and used it quite a bit with my g4. it is a really nice program. its too bad the acer scanner didn't like my mac and the driver, cause after a while the scanner just decided to not scan, anything ... and i am back to my umax2100U and the really bad driver it came with .

Shooter
    127 Format
    If you're running MacOSX, then just use ImageCapture in Applications. If you're not using MacOSX, then you should consider an upgrade if your machine can handle it.

It's basic, but it comes with the OS, and is quick and simple.

If you need more functionality that that, then you're in the wrong place.

Ian

Try saving as a .tif file, it is just as openable as .jpg and only slightly larger. Then using a different image editor,open it and re-save as a standard .jpeg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies!
    I have tried saving the file as several differnt extensions, but it always throws that ".hotshots.doc" after. No other image software will reconize it. I have also tried resaving it and deleted the ".hotshots.doc" part so that it is just "photo1.jpg" (for example), but then NOTHING will open it, not even this cruel hotshots program.
    I am concidering buying (please forgive my foal language) Photoshop Elements. Any other suggestions?
    [COLOR=Navy]127[/COLOR] I'm not sure about your meaning "If you need more functionality that that, then you're in the wrong place."
    [COLOR=Navy]jnanian[/COLOR] I'm not sure the driver is the problem. Scanner seems to work fine, it's the image software that gives me grief. This vuescan you talk about, is it the drivers or is it photoeditting software? Or am I really confused and they are the same thing?
    Perhaps I should just hit it repeatedly with my tripod, toss it out the window and forget the whole thing. It would save APUG from having to look at my attempts of photography...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    [COLOR=Navy]127[/COLOR] I'm not sure about your meaning "If you need more functionality that that, then you're in the wrong place."
    I just meant that ImageCapture provides a very limited interface. You press the button, and it scans the image - there's no provision for editing.

Suit's me fine, as it avoids the temptation to get dragged onto the digital tar pit. If you need image editing facilities, then you'd be better off asking in a digital forum...

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Scan, Save, Post. Don't need or want ten thousand special effects.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    vuescan is just a driver -

Images
    For the price of vuescan, you might as well just buy another scanner. Hopefully one with better software. Around here, you can get them for $40-$50 for the low end canon, HP, and Umax ones.
    hi!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a canon scanner and import directly into photoshop CS
    it's alright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin