Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bizzare deletion of slide scanner threads

I find the deletion of several questions on slide scanners on thegrounds that it is "digital photography" to be astonishing.

Slide scanners have almost nothing to do with digital photography. I suppose we should also delete any questions on the proper storage of negatives, because that is "furniture", and this is not a forum on home furnishings?

Important images on slides need to be preserved - they will decay over time, especially if they are projected regularly. Anyone who projects slides should have a slide scanner, nobody who only uses digital cameras needs a slide scanner.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the point here is that there is hundreds of websites dedicated to either digital or hybrid photography. As this is one of the few sites that caters to an all analogue crowd. So, if you really need advice on slide scanners, use the sister site of dpug.org as they are more open to these questions. Your analogy of furniture does not help your cause.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nothing too astonishing -- this is a purely analogue site. Check out DPUG!

People still put on slide shows?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

X. Phot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    . . .

People still put on slide shows?
    Yes.
    Last edited by X. Phot.; 11-09-2011 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: too many words.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really don't want to ask questions about scanners on APUG. You will get useless answers by people like me that will relentlessly challenge the notion of digital copy as safe storage while promoting slide projection and analog darkroom printing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    try dpug.org bud.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by X. Phot. View Post
    Yes.
    I know, I had just a bit of a fun with the question. Our students put on a couple of slide shows every semester -- one with B&W slides (negatives contact-printed onto litho film) and with color slide film.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can see the point of the OP's question, but also that dpug might be a better place to look for an unbiased opinion on matters which can be regarded as in any way remotely "digital".

(I just wonder sometimes whether it's easy, in our enthusiam for traditional photography, to forget that "APUG.ORG is an international community of like minded individuals devoted to traditional (non-digital) photographic processes".....and not a community for slagging-off digital methods of imaging?)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    What's a "scanner"???

www.imdb.com/title/tt0081455/
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You really don't want to ask questions about scanners on APUG. You will get useless answers by people like me that will relentlessly challenge the notion of digital copy as safe storage while promoting slide projection and analog darkroom printing.
    It is much safer that negatives/positives. The original media will always have the best quality at the outset - but after 50 years your colour film or colour slides will have faded noticably and the digital copy of them will not. Add another 50 and the monochrome ones will probably also have started to fade.
    Surely only someone who knows and appreciates the quality of film can assess the quality of scanned film, and thus assess the quality of a film or slide scanner. That is why I think going to a digital photography forum to ask about analog film scanning will not have especially good results.
    Last edited by scribblescribble; 11-09-2011 at 03:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin