Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,717   Online: 1261

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep an eye on craigslist and local pawn shops.

I wouldn't put it above hotel staff either. It's often seasonal work, low pay, and sometimes attracts the less settled down help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's A Bloody Shame !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    File a claim with your insurance anyways. It will at least force them to review the limitations in your policy in detail. Even if they deny it in full formally, at least you will be protected in the event that some of your coverage actually does apply - you will be protected from any argument about missing a deadline.

Check your auto insurance as well.

And you have my sympathy!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Ted, that really blows. Hope the thief is caught.

There is a sticky thread for posting serial #'s etc. here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/6...-thread-2.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really sorry to hear about your equipment being stolen. Hopefully somehow, some way the people that stole it will get caught and your kit recovered. In the meantime, congratulations on your second child!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We can certainly sympathize with you. It is painful and messes with the trust in humanity!
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh Lord. Yes Ted, I can readily recall the shocked, gutted, sick-to-the-stomach feeling to come back and find your prized possessions looted.
    My much-loved, long-held photography kit was stolen from my niece's car on Boxing Day evening 2003. It does not bear repeating my feelings, especially for the low scum who prey on others. Bad karma.
    I sincerely offer my feelings that you can be repatriated by whatever full, proper and due means are available.
    Do you have a record of serial numbers and any specific identifying features for each piece of equipment? Invisible data dots and serial numbers are a thief's worse enemies, the former undetectable.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This a fairly common occurrence unfortunately. Thieves identify major hotels or conference venues where it will be impossible that the staff will know by sight everyone attending. They dress appropriately for the type of clientele, mingle for a while during morning tea break to observe, maybe make a fake name badge (even pick one up from the registration desk left there for a late arrival who hasn't shown up) and then at lunchtime, unless the organisers have been quite anal about having the room locked for the duration they brazenly walk in as if they're a delegate returning for some reason (the staff are usually thinned out serving lunch or refreshing the room), target any interesting looking bags, purses, computers, phones etc and calmly walk out with them in hand or on shoulder. Both men and women are involved and blend in seamlessly with the hotel or venue population. Sorry you got caught but it happens a lot more than most people realise and the Innkeepers Liability Act usually means you have no recourse on the venue. If you haven't insured your gear yourself you're cooked!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Man...been there. Sorry that you have too.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    Hope you get all or at least some of your gear back. I suppose its black humour at your expense but I'll bet the thief kicks himself when someone tells him the F5 is not a digital and not worth a cracker (not true BTW - I own one - but that is the general view on the street about film cameras). Good luck and commiserations. OzJohn
    The really sickening thing is that when these low life scum steal something - if they think it will be difficult to sell or might be easy to identify, they'll probably just chuck it in the trash. There was a story on here a while ago about some **** going through tents at a festival. The tents were next to a river. Anything the thief wanted, like digital cameras, went in his bag. Anything he didn't want, like the posters film camera, went in the river.
    It isn't just about stealing - it is about not giving a s*** about anyone else.

I really hope your stuff turns up.
    Steve

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin