Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,314   Online: 1199

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a bummer.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Happenned to me once, but it was at home, and we were insured. The thieves were caught, but the cameras were already gone. Good luck, and congrats on the new child.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This thread is one of the few reasons I still keep an LLC (company), I'm insured for $25,000. The bad part is that some of my gear is almost irreplaceable, especially both zoom lenses for my Pentax 67 which are exceedingly rare.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Get your gear insured!!

Most of you who are not full time photographers make the mistake of thinking your gear is covered by your homeowners insurance policy. It is if it stolen from your house, but not from your car or anywhere else (ie. where you will actually be using it).

If you are in an apartment, you probably don't have any sort of policy whatsoever, and you need renter's insurance to cover it. For homeowner's you will probably need to add a rider. Neither of these is very expensive. Our studio has a professional policy with $2 Million in liability coverage and it's only $700 a year. For someone (non-professional) who needs just equipment coverage, you should be able to find something around $100 a year, maybe less.

Hopefully Ted's story will get you all to take action and get yourself insured.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hate to hear that---I know the feeling. While in the Navy in 1988, I had a whole Canon system stolen, an A1 body with motordrive, 50mm, 100mm, 28mm, 200mm lenses and a Domke bag.

Best of luck to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Most of you who are not full time photographers make the mistake of thinking your gear is covered by your homeowners insurance policy. It is if it stolen from your house, but not from your car or anywhere else (ie. where you will actually be using it).

If you are in an apartment, you probably don't have any sort of policy whatsoever, and you need renter's insurance to cover it. For homeowner's you will probably need to add a rider. Neither of these is very expensive. Our studio has a professional policy with $2 Million in liability coverage and it's only $700 a year. For someone (non-professional) who needs just equipment coverage, you should be able to find something around $100 a year, maybe less.

Hopefully Ted's story will get you all to take action and get yourself insured.
    And for those of us with home owner's insurance, their is typically a cap on all kinds of things including computers, photography equipment, even big screen tv's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never consider that the thief was a poor budding photographer and couldn't resist your beautiful equipment? Many years from now may be you will hear about a famous photographer confessing of stealing cameras to start his art.....
    I don't thinks so but just try to cheer you up

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't say anything that hasn't been said. I'm sad for losing your gear, and do hope it is recovered.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    And for those of us with home owner's insurance, their is typically a cap on all kinds of things including computers, photography equipment, even big screen tv's.
    A number of years ago I looked into getting my cameras insured and I learned that if I had a $10k turntable it would have been covered by our homeowner's insurance. But these were cameras so if they're over $x I "must" be a professional and would need a rider. So Albert is right here; caps and/or exclusions.

s-a

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear that I hope they catch the culprit(s) before he/they sell your equipment.

Dominik

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin