Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,854   Online: 985

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've had all my gear stolen!

I'm gutted.

I've been at an annual workshop group for my day job for the last 2 days, and I volunteered to do the photography. I took my Nikon F5, SB800, 80-200mm, 60mm prime Macro, 50mm 1.8 prime and 20mm prime. All was going well on the first day, then we all (250 people) went for lunch - I left my gear in the room, where I thought it would be safe given that our whole group had booked the hotel and given that the hotel was in the middle of nowhere in the countryside. While we were eating, some **** walked into the hotel, hung about a bit, and then walked into the conference hall and took my bag and camera - nearly £1800 of kit!

I'm not insured for theft of property outside of my home and the workshop was an informal group of enthusiasts. And the hotel is the usual "all items left at own risk".

We have notified the police and have them on CCTV but I'm not confident.

I'm just gutted that the gear that I have bought honestly over the last 5 years has all been taken by some bloke who'll just sell it for next to nothing to buy some cocaine or something. I am left with nothing and it will take me a long time to get the money together to replace it, especially having just had a second child 3 weeks ago!

A sad day for me :-(

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to hear it Ted.
    I really hope you get it recovered.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've had photo gear stolen three times in my life and it's a misery each time. You have my sympathy.

Shooter
    35mm
    You have my sympathy! I lost my Nikon F2AS and the 28mm lens in 1984 while working in a 1 hour photo lab. It was a real pain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hope you get all or at least some of your gear back. I suppose its black humour at your expense but I'll bet the thief kicks himself when someone tells him the F5 is not a digital and not worth a cracker (not true BTW - I own one - but that is the general view on the street about film cameras). Good luck and commiserations. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel your pain.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm very sorry to hear that, I too would be sickened if it hsppened to me. I'll say congratulations on your new child. Family is everything.

Best,

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So sorry to hear! Maybe by sharing with us the story of your loss we can all be reminded that nowhere is safe to leave any of our goods. I know that is no consolation given your loss and am really sorry to hear!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am really sorry to hear this.

Keep checking Craig's List and eBay and see if they show up there. If they do arrange a meeting and call the police.

I hope you get your equipment back.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin