Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,545   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

"air" remote shutter release 'cables'...

Do these work?

I'm asking about the 20' (yep, 20 feet) long ones that come with a rubber squeeze-bulb to operate the shutter. I want to use it with my Mamiya RB67 Pro-S for family photo's (including my ugly mug).

Thanks!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are usually nothing glamourous.

Mine from the past needed to be fully unwound, and the occasional kink in the tube (from a less than careful winding onto the storage spool) had to be massaged out before it would reliably work.

It did work fine at being actuated by placing it under the heel of the leg not bearing all of the weight without needing to make your facal expression betray what your foot is up to.

There are also mechanical clockwork delay self timers, but they are typically a quite bit more expensive.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cannot answer that the air pressure will work with your camera, but I suggest you get an inexpensive remote timer to screw into the shutter of your Mamiya RB67.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have used a kaiser and a de groff for years, they work well.
    the de groff will be the last cable release you will ever buy ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The pneumatic shutter remote work...kind of.

It all depends on how heavy your shutter release is. For things like my Minolta XE-1 and my Bronica SQ-Ai, yes the pneumatic shutter remote works without too many issues. For things like my Koni-Omega, there is not a chance in heck that a standard one will fire the shutter. There is way too much mechanical resistance to get the thing to fire.

The other thing to consider is longer exposures. The pneumatic release I own doesn’t have a valve on it, so if I do a shot using the Bulb setting, I need to keep the pump compressed. I’m not sure whether the more expensive models do have a valve or not, but it would be a nice addition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one these releases too. I find that sometimes a quick hard squeeze will fire some tougher releases on certain cameras when a slow stead squeeze sometimes does not. Odd? but thats how it seems to work for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great responses everyone - thanks!!!

I've honestly never seen one of the remote screw-in timers, but i believe that's going to be the better way to go for me - thanks Steve!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    see how much clearance you need on the RB. My air release has a large head(that holds the pin) and when i extend the RB to focus, it doesn't clear the cable release head. I had to use a regular release with the RB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of these, and a pneumatic one that my Father had back in the 30's. Handy on cameras that don't have a self timer. You have to adjust the stroke or length of travel of the plunger to match your camera, and they work fine.
    I have also used the 20 foot pneumatic releases. All said above applies, but they can work OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phototimer.gif  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I have one these releases too. I find that sometimes a quick hard squeeze will fire some tougher releases on certain cameras when a slow stead squeeze sometimes does not. Odd? but thats how it seems to work for me.
    Not too odd if you take into account the air leaks in the system. Faster you pump it the less chance of losing pressure.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin