Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 849
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Velander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    8

    What do I do with all of these camera?

    I just inherited a camera collection and I have to figure out what to do with it. I'm living in an apartment and don't have room for 400+ cameras. I like photography (I currently have a Nikon D90) [Boo... Digital], but I would love to get back into analog photography using some of these cameras.

    I'm thinking that I will put them in storage and take them out a few at a time, find out something about them and try and document them better, maybe try and take some pictures them, then decided what to do with it.

    I have setup a web page so people can see the collection. You can see them at link to my website on my profile.

  2. #2
    nhemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NJ - Near NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    199
    Images
    22
    im only on page 8 - that is one heck of an inheritance....pardon the sharks circling but, do you intend to sell any?
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

    My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

  3. #3
    chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    983
    Keep them, sell them, or give them away. Of course, you don't have to do that with all of them. You could keep some and sell or give the rest.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

    http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

    My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

    Become a fan of my work on Facebook

    Fort Wayne, Indiana

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,274
    Images
    21
    Good grief! You have quite a haul there. I have no idea what you can sensibly do with a collection of "user" cameras that size---a lot of them seem to fill the same niches, like the seven different Yashica TLRs.

    I didn't immediately see anything that made my eyes pop as an extraordinary rarity or anything, but a lot of them are in the "quite nice" to "professional" range, and they look like they're in great shape at least cosmetically. Congratulations!

    -NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

    The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,267
    Images
    2
    I like the shot of the Canon Sure-Shot, under the Canon category of course, showing the accessories display in the background. Did you inherit a store?
    W.A. Crider

  6. #6
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt Co.
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    4,647
    Images
    40
    Well, I am always looking for donations of 35mm and medium format camera for our university art photography program (part of the Humboldt State University Art Department). I am the darkroom tech and I check out equipment for students to use for their assignments. I particularily need manual 35mm cameras such as the Canon AE-1, older Nikons, Pentax K1000s, etc. But the Canon series of Rebel cameras work for us also (but I prefer not to give the students the opportunity to put the camera on auto).

    Every semester we have 4 to 5 classes (24 students each) using our darkroom (and one class in the digital lab). Many students have their own cameras, but many do not -- or try to use their parents' old cameras that have been sitting around for 20 years...which often seem to fail part way through the semester. And this semester I started out with 10 working 35mm cameras and I am down to 7 now.

    I also check out 4x5 view cameras -- we have 3 wood field cameras and 5 rail view cameras. We just got a donation of a 5x7 camera, but need to get some holders.

    We always need tripods, flash units and cable releases, too!

    So...this is a shameless plug for our photography program. I will pay out of my own pocket for shipping!

    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

  7. #7
    Velander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I like the shot of the Canon Sure-Shot, under the Canon category of course, showing the accessories display in the background. Did you inherit a store?
    The cameras are on display in his gun shop. The items on the wall in the back of the picture are gun clips and other accessories.

  8. #8
    Velander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Good grief! You have quite a haul there. I have no idea what you can sensibly do with a collection of "user" cameras that size---a lot of them seem to fill the same niches, like the seven different Yashica TLRs.

    I didn't immediately see anything that made my eyes pop as an extraordinary rarity or anything, but a lot of them are in the "quite nice" to "professional" range, and they look like they're in great shape at least cosmetically. Congratulations!

    -NT
    The cameras I have on the site are from images of his collection as of about a year ago. I need to update it with the rest of his collection. He was telling me about a recent addition that he said was the smallest twin-lens reflex camera ever made, but I can't remember the make.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    116
    Nice job on documenting the collection. Unless you want to open a museum, I'd say it makes sense to sell a few of them to fund the storage costs. That's a bit of a job in itself, but I'm also in Portland and could maybe help out. I'd love to see some of these cameras in person, too! I recently started shooting a Rolleiflex from 1960 (my birth year), and am fascinated by the precision of these things, in particular the German ones. Paul

  10. #10
    Velander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Nice job on documenting the collection. Unless you want to open a museum, I'd say it makes sense to sell a few of them to fund the storage costs. That's a bit of a job in itself, but I'm also in Portland and could maybe help out. I'd love to see some of these cameras in person, too! I recently started shooting a Rolleiflex from 1960 (my birth year), and am fascinated by the precision of these things, in particular the German ones. Paul
    I'm going to pick up a few this weekend and bring them back to town. The Mamiya RB67 setup looks like it would be fun to try out. I'm not even sure what format of film I will be able to find, or where to look for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin