Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,101   Online: 840

Shooter
    35mm

Digital compact that can serve as a great light meter?

I need to purchase a new digital compact for the miss's "happy snaps". It should be of reasonably good picture quality, but also light, and compact. I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone, by getting one which also serves as a great light meter.

Any suggestions of a good model?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    I need to purchase a new digital compact for the miss's "happy snaps". It should be of reasonably good picture quality, but also light, and compact. I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone, by getting one which also serves as a great light meter.

Frankly, I don't think they're really interchangeable. Something like a Canon G12 isn't cheap. I'd get an inexpensive Canon/Nikon/Sony p&s and shop for a used meter. Besides, there's no way you can do incident metering with these. No clue what you're looking for in a meter besides it being "great." Not sure this thread will survive, anyway, since it's "APUG." You might try photo.net.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say an Iphone with a light meter app.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A good used lightmeter costs less than a new digital compact camera, then you'll be able to shoot quality images on your film camera.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    digital cameras do not use light the same as film therefore they don't meter the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know which model to recommend. I do use my Nikon Coolpix 5000 as a light meter. Need to do a lot of test before it would work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I would say an Iphone with a light meter app.
    + 1. I use my iPhone meter app when I am out doing "happy snaps" and it works quite well. I always have my phone with me so I don't forget it either. No testing required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post

Yes, unless you need fine spot metering, consider picking up a used nikon d40 or d40x or similar plus an old manual lens. Makes a great colour meter. Sure, the response is not the same as film, nor does it have to be. Remember that most meters use semiconductor elements to measure the light, not film!!! I've been using digital thingies for metering for ages and the results are basically perfect. I love the breakout of the histograms and colour temp measurement. Waaaay less expensive than a professional colour meter. And you get an instant proof of sorts. And no I don't feel the least bit guilty doing this when I am shooting a $20 piece of film.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used my canon sx120 as a meter on many occasions...always with pretty good results.
    As good as a handheld selenium or better.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin