Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,170   Online: 754

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use "serious" cameras and doubt I'll ever drop using B&W film but one of my most success print and usage sales lately is from one of my fairly recent iPhone images, over $900 and counting....not so funny anymore. As for money spent? Heck it's my phone and mini-internet browser with loads of apps anyway, oh, and has an 8MP camera that I sometimes use BECAUSE I HAPPEN TO HAVE IT WITH ME.

I think the hubris I'm seeing here is funnier...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't care how someone makes an image, and I use my phone to make picture all the time. But for the life of me I can't figure out why I would want to drag around a bunch of lenses without just bringing along a camera body that uses them. It's not like an itty bitty sensor brings anything to the table that using full size lenses takes advantage of or benefits from. I think this is just mostly a case of marketing genius. Creating a need that doesn't exist and then filling it is a long, lucrative, and brilliant enterprise zone. Maybe Canon should just build a cell phone into their next body LOL.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-18-2011 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mostly because you have a teeny tiny device that is designed to be practical and nimble, and 'all-in-one device', both with its capabilities and its size. Then you completely throw out the original idea of the device, mount a fairly extreme lens to it via some sort of lens mount that doesn't destroy the camera, and finally put it on a tripod.

It's the idea of going to the length they have to make that with an iPhone. That's the funny part. It's disproportionate, a bit nuts, and a bonkers way of building a working camera system.

Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    Funny? Why?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's obvious these attachments and lenses are not for us with other cameras but for people who only have iPhones and have no interest in buying other cameras and who may want to use such attachments and lenses. No big deal, makes perfect sense.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The big lenses are a weird idea, but the kit of 3 little lenses (fisheye, wide angle, and a telephoto) looks pretty good. I showed it to my wife and she got real excited. She got an iPhone 4s a couple weeks ago and has mentioned that it would be good if it had some kind of zoom capability. They would fit nicely in her purse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kminov View Post
    “With a smartphone and some easy-to-use lenses, they don’t need to know anything about photography or lighting to take great pictures."

that right there is the problem of modern day "photographers"

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I do like the part about "they don’t need to know anything about photography or lighting to take great pictures...".
    The little keyring kit I understand, but if you're going to carry a 300 tele, an slr body doesn't add much to the kit vs. the phone.
    Meet Jen the "Jenerific"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superamit/3308766694/

http://www.flickr.com/people/jenerific/
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed a banner for one of these systems on Schneider's site while looking up vintage lens data. Even the established lens makers are jumping on the band wagon I guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay, that does it for me. I'm selling all my equipment and buying a iPhone and a few lenses and opening a photo studio. Maybe I'll keep my Majestic tripod as I need something very substantial to hold the iPhone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want an adapter that lets me use my Android Smartphone as a digital back for my RB67 .

Do you think you would need an optical element or two to make it work?

The tiny sensors on the phone cameras do lead to a lot of depth of field. So if one is going to be shooting macro images for internet usage anyways, a macro accessory might make more sense.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    These people love their cameras and are finding all possible and impossible uses for it. Just like APUG, isn't it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin