Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 842

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Find what interests you and shoot it, don't get caught up in what film, lens or format, just grab a camera and go. Keep track of what you used and look over what you have so that you can return to a particular subject later with a format/lens/film that you feel would work better.

This is part of my problem. I never return to improve upon things. I've got "Image A.D.D." or something. Once I shoot something, and either develop it or have it printed, I mentally move on to something else. It's almost an "ok good enough" type of thinking, or at least the "been there, done that" attitude. I loose interested in a subject matter too easily I guess. Or maybe i've just not found something that interests me enough.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just need to give it time. I bet if you took a survey you would find that a large number of photographers will let an image sit for a long time before they decide to do something about it. I have a tendency to go back over an area that I have shot on numerous occasions with any number of systems and film just because I might see something different or from another angle or even a different light. I have several projects that I am wanting to do, I have a loose idea of what I want to do but all I do is go out and shoot. Sooner or later I will start to get more of a cohesive idea from the prints/negatives I have. For me, it's not an overnight thing but over a span of time and that could mean years instead of weeks or months. The best advice I can give is not to force it. If you put to much pressure on yourself to "create" you won't come up with anything. A common theme that has been running through all of the answers so far is "just shoot".
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The posts above on Alec Soth reminded me of how he used lists taped to his steering wheel as he drove around.
    A couple of articles about his lists - here and here.
    I like the idea of thinking around a subject and coming up with a shot list and then letting each image lead to the next as Soth calls it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have actually been planning a project for the last few weeks. It is still in the very early stages. But after I decided what the subject was, (they are going to be environmental portraits) not going to give much away. The next thing was to figure out the best way to make the project look seamless. The way to do that was use one camera and one lens and one film. It just happens to me a 4x5, 150, txp. this is the was that I want to pictures to look and feel. I am now into picking the individual subjects, and logistics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    This is part of my problem. I never return to improve upon things. I've got "Image A.D.D." or something. Once I shoot something, and either develop it or have it printed, I mentally move on to something else. It's almost an "ok good enough" type of thinking, or at least the "been there, done that" attitude. I loose interested in a subject matter too easily I guess. Or maybe i've just not found something that interests me enough.....
    Christopher:

More likely you just haven't given it enough time.

guitstik's definition of "later" is probably a lot later than you have allotted for this.

My recent gallery upload "Fungi and Fallen" was a shot I took at a site I have been wandering around quite a bit for the last three years.

And I recently took some shots at a site that I revisited again after a lapse of almost 40 years.

Here is "Fungi and Fallen":
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fungi-fallen_cr.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is part of my problem. I never return to improve upon things.
    I know what you mean.

There are parts of the John Muir Trail (near approaches) that I end up revisiting out of necessity. At the ledge a few miles south of Sally Keyes lake there's an uprooted snag I enthusiastically shot on my first time up the trail. On the last trip I walked down past it saying "oh yeah, the gates of hell."

I was once forced to overcome this, and came out with more than I expected.

A couple years back the boy scout troop planned a week at summer camp near Big Sur, on the Little Sur river/creek that I had several favorite pictures from. A creek is a minor landscape, not a grand landscape. I was afraid I'd come back with nothing. Actually, I came back with something I didn't expect. I came back with something very much like Equivalents. My Style came through and the prints from different decades fit together as if they were taken on the same trip. Had I already progressed as far as I ever will when I first started out? Does my new work add to itself or rehash old ground? Darned thing about photography is that you can make great shots immediately. And the improvement you make over the years can be very subtle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to take into consideration, are you the same person from as little as a year ago? More than likely you have changed. The way you look at a scene is not the same today as a year past. The same goes for something that you shot last year, it has probably gone through changes either landscaping, remodeling or a tree has fallen across the old home stead and it's no longer there. As a photographer, the moment we begin to stop moving and changing is the time to put the camera up. Try something new, think outside of the box and grow as a photographer. Then the projects will start to take on a life of their own. I actually do have A.D.D but I have never used it as an excuse. I realize the problem and try to find ways around it. Don't make excusess unless it is more fun than making pictures.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is part of my problem. I never return to improve upon things. I've got "Image A.D.D." or something. Once I shoot something, and either develop it or have it printed, I mentally move on to something else. It's almost an "ok good enough" type of thinking, or at least the "been there, done that" attitude. I lose interested in a subject matter too easily I guess. Or maybe i've just not found something that interests me enough.....
    Christopher -- I'm a lot like you in some ways. I shoot a variety of formats, films, and subjects -- whatever interests me. I thought too, that I had no particular style, and I couldn't come up with any real ideas for a personal project. However, as I have little to no access to a darkroom most of the time, it has meant that it can be months, even years, before I make contact sheets (and if I'm lucky, prints) of all that I've shot. So when I finally had access to a darkroom again, I knew I needed to make my time count and took a good look at all my contact sheets to see what kind of portfolio of work I could put together. And it became clear after looking at all the work that I've done over the years that I could easily put 3 or 4 portfolios together of a good number of images. And it was also evident that even though I tend to think "I'm this kind of photograher" or "I shoot all kinds of images", the reality is that I actually do focus on particular subjects (consciously, unconsciously) and that the images I like the best all do conform (mostly) to a particular style.

Since then (this realization came a couple of years ago) I still have those porfolio subjects in mind whenever I go shooting so that I can further add to them. I didn't need to come up with a project -- the projects were already there, I just had to "see" them.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can have add ... just keep shooting, you don't need to go back and reshoot anything.
    the thing is, the more you shoot, the better you get at your subject matter.
    if AFTER you look at your work down the road, you say --- this is nice, but i wish i did this instead
    then you can go back on your own terms to do whatever it is you want to do.

i used to just expose 1 or 3 frames all the time, and looking back over all the film i exposed in those days
    i now wish i wasn't so stingy with my exposures or time. nowadays i can go back to the same place and it is
    almost like i wasn't there a week or a month or a day before ..

just have a good time, and everything will fall into place

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin