Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joooorsh View Post
    Looking for a new satchel that is actually capable of safely storing my cameras when out shooting for a day.

Just wondering how much gear you can fit in one?

I'm usually shooting with my x700 or F3 or r3a which will all fit but would like to be able to plonk my 5d Ii w/ 35 1.4 in there with a bit of other crap. So basically if anyone has one and can tell me how much they fit in it I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Joooorsh,

I have a tan one I use as a briefcase ('man-purse' for the honest folks here.) I have a 1x1 Domke insert at one end. In that I usually have a 50mm f/2 and a 105mm f/2.5, mounted mount to mount with two rear caps glued together. In the rest of the main compartment I drop an f with a 28mm f/2 and a bottle of water, maybe a sandwich. It works OK but only OK. A bit too thin front to back and without the insert it's a bit to short end to end to quickly slide in a magazine or folded paper. I also have the bigger satchel (802?) and that's just too big for daily carry; when I leave work I leave it, and don't want to carry my office home with me. That's why I downsized to the 803. As has been mentioned, they fall over. A lot. Sometimes I think they're just a PIA. My son has an F-2 and he thinks it's too big. I'm thinking of getting him an F-3X for Christmas. That way if he doesn't like it I can claim it.

Somewhere on youtube there's some film of Winogrand working out of what looks like an F3-X. If you can find that you could get a better idea of it's size and if it's what you need. I can't recommend a satchel if it's going to be your only bag.

hth

s-a

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Domke F-803 that i've had for many years. It is too small for a large digital SLR, too thin front to back. Works well for Leicas, and small to medium size 35mm SLRs. I've used mine with Olympus OM and a Nikon F3 system and for those it is fine. My Nikon F4, which is about the size of your Canon is just too big for the bag.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    It is too small for a large digital SLR, too thin front to back.
    Maybe if you insist on having a lens attached.

You've got about 3-4 inches of 'thickness' that it can accommodate.

I guess it depends on what you plan on stuffing into it. I have a Fuji GF670, L358, film, and some other accessories in mine. I have plenty of room to spare. If anything, the bag is a little too large.

I could also fit my 1N RS, a flash, and 3-4 lenses in it comfortably instead of what's in it now.. If a 1N RS can fit in it, I don't see how a large DSLR couldn't...

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as size goes, the 803 main compartment is about 13x4x9 (LxWxD). It looks like the Domke satchels that has the most working distance front to back are about 6.5 inches.

I use the F-6 (12x6x7) which is a bag, not a satchel. It's also a little roomier at 504 cubic inches vs 468 for the F-803. I can comfortably fit an Nikon F5 with lens attached, plus four more lenses in the main compartment. I find it easy to work out of, even if I am keeping the camera in the bag between shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin