Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,381   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Anybody own a Domke f-803?

Looking for a new satchel that is actually capable of safely storing my cameras when out shooting for a day.

Just wondering how much gear you can fit in one?

I'm usually shooting with my x700 or F3 or r3a which will all fit but would like to be able to plonk my 5d Ii w/ 35 1.4 in there with a bit of other crap. So basically if anyone has one and can tell me how much they fit in it I'd be greatly appreciative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't say that I have experience with this specific Domke, but I may add that Domke bags are the best I have ever seen. They are crafted to last!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah that's why I'm forking out for one, just want to make sure I get the right model!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dunno if that bag is for you. I had two Leicas with lenses and a lens in the middle in mine and it barely fit. I remember having a contax rts with 35mm f1.4 and one other lens in there and thought it was a little much. I love the bag, 'cause it fits all my stuff, but it's definitely a rangefinder bag, not an SLR unless you're planning to use just one body and 2 lenses. Have a look at the dimensions though and measure your stuff. I could be wrong.

I also have the domke f-1 bag and it's my personal preference. It would fit an SLR much nicer and be more accessible. The thing I didn't like about the f 803 is how deep it was and I had to fish in the bottom for a tiny Leica lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just saw a video where a guy had a d700 w/ lens around the same size as my 35 and a big zoom in there snug as a bug in a rug.

So I still don't know but I'll investigate. No stores in Sydney stock them tho.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Domke F-2 bag, not sure how it compares with the f-803, but it easily takes a Hasselblad with a prism finder, 3 lenses, meter, backs, film.... With plenty of room left over.
    2 35's with lenses wouldn't be a problem depending on the inserts used, and 3 would be feasible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're thinking of cameras with lenses attached, I'm going to suggest another bag. It's a slim bag and even an M6 with a 35 cron was snug if you used padded dividers. I now use the 802 instead, much more room.

I suggest taking a look at the ThinkTankPhoto Retrospective 30 bag. I'm close to buying one as it will work well for RF and slr cameras. The footprint is a bit bigger than the Domke's but it has many more useful features.

or look at the Domke F3x series bags. Smaller brother to the F2 but very good bag to work from.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Satchel and courier-style bags don't "park" well and tend to flop over. I find the Domke F2 to be near-perfect for a moderate amount of gear but not so roomy to encourage overloading. I also have an F1X but tend to stuff it with too much tonnage. If you go with an F2, get it in the bomb-proof ballistic nylon and buy their USPS-style shoulder pad, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had a J-803 (the Nylon version) for years and and have stuffed all kinds of stuff in there from time to time. Leica M-6, Leica IIIf, Rolleiflex, Mamiya Universal Flattop etc. Not counting the bread, water bottle, blocks of cheese, sandwiches etc. So if I can get it in there I can carry it.

The secret is to get proper inserts and modify them if necessary to fit whatever you wish to carry. In fact my Leica's are carried in short inserts and the lenses are in homemade inserts and don't ride in the bottom of the bag.

That said - there may be better choices for digital SLRs as others have mentioned above.
    Last edited by Bob Eskridge; 11-24-2011 at 08:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

I owned the F2 and used to carry two Canon F1 bodies, 4 or 5 lenses, meter, film, flash. Eventually wore a hole in it and replaced it with the F1, in which I now carry a Hasselblad body, 3 lenses, 2 backs, meter, film, flash, etc. First bag lasted me 9 years, second one has lasted me 20 and it's still going strong. Perfect for my system. It is easy to overload the F1 and make it really heavy.

Peter Gomena

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin