Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

clockwork mechanisms

As well as those who appreciate film photography and film cameras, is there an appreciation of camera clockwork mechanisms. They work beautifully, so why do we need batteries?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As well as those who appreciate film photography and film cameras, is there an appreciation of camera clockwork mechanisms. They work beautifully, so why do we need batteries?
    For light meters. Yes, selenium cell meters need no batteries, but they suck for low light and they don't make selenium spotmeters. Honestly though, electronic shutters are more accurate. I don't see the difference in black and white work, but I've been bitten a few times with slides because of shutters off a little bit. Never happens with my electronic-shutter cameras but does with my Leicas and Hasselblad.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure that's not metering technique, not in accurate shutter speed?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Sure that's not metering technique, not in accurate shutter speed?
    I'm sure. I use the same handheld meter the same way. The cameras are the only variable.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last night I went to a show and was humbled by the work of a talented Black and White Silver Gelatin photographer who works without light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the mechanical precision built into the Exakta VX. My 2 were built in 1952 and work like the day they were made.
    Also I use 2 SRT's. The light meters are not that good so I leave the battery out and use a hand held meter instead. Of course I have later cameras, XD-11, X-700's, 8000i, and I don't mind that they use batteries to control the shutters. Spare batteries are on hand in my camera bags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Last night I went to a show and was humbled by the work of a talented Black and White Silver Gelatin photographer who works without light meter.
    Using a meter is not exactly brain surgery, and it makes your photos consistently good, if you gear is adjusted right (My cameras went in for CLA after finding their shutters were not accurate). Guessing may work most of the time if you accumulate enough experience, but why bother? Photographers who brag about not using meters are fools, loudly proclaiming it.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 12-04-2011 at 06:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: let's keep it polite, please.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being able to expose correctly without a light meter is a skill that you will appreciate having learned the day you have hiked for several hours and then discover you have left the meter at home. Or the batteries.

When you get really good at it, you will start bringing an extra lens, or extra film holder, instead of the meter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... I went for years without a light meter, had an Argus C-3 from a yard sale. I went by the leaflets that were packaged with the film back in those days(as did many millions of photogs prior to that). Maybe my exposures weren't spot on perfect, but I have thousands of photos that proved good enough to win a few awards. Then I purchased an Olympus FTL with built in meter, life went downhill from there. I found myself mired down with trying to figure out the best things to meter off of for consistancy. Now I am back to my roots, Retinette without meter, Mamiya C-220 and 330 occasionally use handheld meter, OM-1's that I usually forget to turn the meter on when using. Something about the "sunny 16(or sunny 11 most days)rule that still rings true and usefull. I have a few examples posted here from a Kodak Tourist II that I purposly left my meter home when shooting, loaded with iso 25 film and hand held every shot. Results were six of the eight shots were very well worth printing, and recieved some raves.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/members/r...polymax-rc.jpg
    http://www.apug.org/forums/members/r...polymax-rc.jpg
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then I purchased an Olympus FTL with built in meter, life went downhill from there.
    Rick, I can identify with this. Reminds me of an old saying, "A man with one watch always knows what time it is, but once he has two or more, he's never sure," or words to that affect. We can sometimes get so caught up in the technical aspects of taking a picture we lose sight of the the fun if not the spontaneous inspiration.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin