Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,248   Online: 804

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The rolling tool chest is nice if you have the room for em.

But for stacking in closets I am putting my cameras in zip loc bags with silica packets, then putting em in portable hand tool boxes like these...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G16

I get em at Sears, K-Mart n Home Depot for around $15 or so when I see em on sale. Take the top shelf out n they can hold a complete MF kit. Label the outside, it makes finding my stuff that much easier.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got one of those sunglasses cases with the locking doors and locking drawer. the local furniture store was going out of business and they sold it for around $40
    it isn't airtight, so a little dust builds up, so stuff gets stored with caps on and cameras folded.
    the drawers aren't airtight either, but you unlock the one and open it, then another drawer can be accessed from above it-almost no dust gets into it, so film holders, lenses, etc gets stored there. flashes, reflectors, and cables get stored in the main drawer.
    shelves, sides, and front are all thicker lexan or acrylic plastic, so they do flex a little if you put some weight, as in a few cameras on them.
    also, you can put it out in a room and turn the light on, so every camera that isn't in use becomes a display collection, if you are into that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Admittedly, i don't have one of these, but if i were looking to store my photogear this is what i'd do.

Buy one of those smaller, inexpensive *locking* gun-safe/cabinet and retro-fit appropriate shelving. They're not heavy, are lockable and usually can be configured to have a filtered-air dehumidifier/circulation fan. I've seen them at Costco, Gander Mountain, Cabela's or similar places - though not sure if Calgary has these particular stores.

However, you could look in any large hunting/fishing retailer stores and i certain you'd find one there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tool chest works well as long as the depth of the various drawers meets your needs. The locking aspect isn't that big a deal as the thief can just roll it right out - at least you don't have to worry about him hurting his back. I've seen commercial studios use these.

You probably need some sort of divider/padding to keep some items from tipping when the drawer is open or closed.

But I use plastic containers in a closed cabinet. I try to use the smaller sizes so that a) nothing is on top of something else in any one container and b) the contents of each container is relatively consistent (i.e. "folding cameras", "Olympus OM"). The containers are stacked on a shelf, but only 2 or 3 high.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A safe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I've got a number of large Pelican cases with padded divider sets instead of foam and these work great. They hold a lot of gear, they roll, and they can be popped open easily for gear access at any time. Just one case contains: a Speed Graphic body, a Toyo 45A body, four lenses, a Zero Image 4x5 pinhole with two extension frames, film holders, meters, 2 Polaroid 405 backs, two Polaroid 545 holders, a Horseman 6x9 back, filters, cable releases, lens hoods, etc. Plus they load into the trunk of the car directly without needing to fill up a separate camera bag.

Did I mention the moisture and shock protection, too?

Jonathan
    I agree, this is how I store my gear. One box for EOS (digital and film) plus lenses and flash plus room for batteries, filters and memory cards and business cards. My other box has my Pentax 67ii with five lenses, a filter set and misc junk. My third box was just vacated by a gx680 and will like hold now my Polaroid 250's, film and my g2.

I also have a back pack I use for packing gear in, nice and versital. I carried in a Polaroid 250, g2 and EOS 3 with a 50mm f1.4 plus 30 rolls of film to the amusement park just this weekend, works great.

The rest is stored in clear stackable plastic tubs on the shelf in the basement.

With cats in the house, shelves are a horrible idea in our basement :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use a safe for storage, please be careful.... Some folks stored watches in fire-retardant safes and ended up with pitting and corrosion because materials used for fire protection emitted enough gas and moisture in this sealed environment.

This is a second-hand information and I don't intend to experience it myself!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a cabinet from Ikea, in the PAX series, that has roll-out drawers. I find that if the shelves in a cabinet are too deep, you can't really see what's at the back. With roll-out drawers, nothing goes unseen. So far I'm pretty pleased.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin