Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Storing a lot of photo gear, advice request

I have the following and really need a better system for accessing gear as needed. I currently just use a couple of bins, but having things stacked on top of each other probably isn't the best for the gear and hinders finding and using things as I need them. I was thinking a tool chest or something like that, but thought I'd ask the group to see what you are all using.

2 Medium format slr bodies
    6 MF backs
    5 MF lenses
    4 Rangefinders
    10 RF lenses
    3 35mm SLRs
    6 35mm lenses
    Lightmeter
    6x12 Pinhole camera

Thanks,
    Kevin
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin, I have significantly more than that, I find that good quality bookshelves work best for me in the studio. On 4 bookshelves I can manage to fit my entire 4x5/8x10 Sinar F/P system with ~dozen or so lenses, extension rails, Sinar Shutter, reflex viewer, and a pile of accessories, a 4 lens Hasselblad system, a 2 body Mamiya RB67 outfit with a full set of lenses, my 35mm/digital bodies & lenses, 5 Broncolor packs, a dozen heads, reflectors, speedrings, grids, snoots, etc and numerous shoebox size storage totes for filters, cables, cords, etc. More than enough room and everything is organized so I can find what I need/want immediately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I've considered bookshelves as well, but am worried (maybe overly so) about dust.
    And nice bit of kit you have!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if you intend to have them in a "show" position, or just good storage. My gear is in the basement, which is very dry, year-round. I use Black and Decker plastic cupboards, for want of a better term. You assemble them, they have two doors and 5 shelves. They are not air tight, but definitely close well enough to keep dust out. They are made of molded plastic panels and such, you assemble them. Quite durable.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a five-drawer chest at a garage sale for $10. I sanded off the cheap spray paint-varnish and refinished with polyurethane varnish. Looks great! It holds 35mm, 645, 6x7, and LF lenses and bodies, flashes and miscellaneous stuff.

I admit I could use another but meet some spousal resistance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm thinking of getting (after the holidays) a rolling toolbox with the many drawers. Figuring on putting the bigger lenses in the bottom drawers, accessories and filters at the top, small lenses in a medium sized drawer. A toolbox like one of these, but perhaps not this very one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely for storage as opposed to show. Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out. Now if that nice rolling tool cabinet could be had at a garage sale for $10... It also looks like it might lock, which would be a bonus.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting (after the holidays) a rolling toolbox with the many drawers. Figuring on putting the bigger lenses in the bottom drawers, accessories and filters at the top, small lenses in a medium sized drawer. A toolbox like one of these, but perhaps not this very one...
    I've been looking for one for the studio, but getting just the right one with enough drawers that are deep enough (that isn't made by SnapOn or MAC that is...) has so far been fruitless. Some at Sears get close, but not quite.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    erie, try home depot or Loews or other large hardware outfits, they usauly have there own brand of cheap roller tool boxes.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've got a number of large Pelican cases with padded divider sets instead of foam and these work great. They hold a lot of gear, they roll, and they can be popped open easily for gear access at any time. Just one case contains: a Speed Graphic body, a Toyo 45A body, four lenses, a Zero Image 4x5 pinhole with two extension frames, film holders, meters, 2 Polaroid 405 backs, two Polaroid 545 holders, a Horseman 6x9 back, filters, cable releases, lens hoods, etc. Plus they load into the trunk of the car directly without needing to fill up a separate camera bag.

Did I mention the moisture and shock protection, too?

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin