Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,780   Online: 882

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am thankful to have so many people looking out for me...

Ok, ok, I thought solid wire was good for the inside connections, and stranded to the mains. There is some protection from yanking the cord, with the cable harnesses, no?

Obviously I can't defend my build much, because I don't know much (re: anything) about electric wiring, which you guys have so effectively pointed out. Hey, can we chalk it up to a learning experience?

Please tell me the gauge of wire for wiring the interior connections.

Since I'm the one on this side of the situation, it's easy for me to see some humor in this, particularly from polygot here... "holy shitburgers"... probably the first time I've seen that on APUG.

I can only imagine what this looks like to you guys though; knowing what you know about electricity and not knowing much about me.

Hmmm, holmburgers hasn't logged on lately..., what was his real name?, check the Lawrence obituaries...

But you know, despite what I might be giving you as supporting evidence, I am not a complete fool. Obviously I'm ignorant about this field of knowledge, but give me the benefit of the doubt in terms of assuming I'm not going to go tripping over my cords, that this thing will be plugged in and operating for sporadic & brief, heavily supervised periods of time (I'll be in the middle of carbon printing; a fairly focused activity) and that we're not running a daycare in my apartment.

However, I can't say I deserve any other reaction! To see a build like this and for it to NOT illicit cautionary remarks would mean that something is wrong with the forum; that people have stopped worrying about others. That's what makes APUG special, and I appreciate the straight talk.

Rest assured, steps will be taken to make it safer, if not an outright rebuild.

Am I free to leave?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by "the late, but certainly not a complete fool" holmburgers View Post
    Please tell me the gauge of wire for wiring the interior connections.
    I'm waiting for the experts to explain (or say I'm mistaken) but my house, as are most in North America to the best of my knowledge, wired with 14 gauge solid wire.

To be honest, I noticed that the sockets were attached in an unorthodox manner and the wiring seems more like a series circuit... but maybe just a cover over the exposed wiring would make it safe enough for "experimental use" as it is intended to be used. If this was intended to be a commercial consumer product I'd say "holey sheet" is a reasonable reaction, but it isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's in parallel; at least, it works with any number of bulbs from 1 to 7.

I think that that is 14 gauge solid wire; when I picked it I remember that it fit the specs I had been told.. sooo....

Yes, the mounting of the porcelain bases is unorthodox and was a last minute change. In terms of where the bulbs sit, this worked out much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I think it's in parallel; at least, it works with any number of bulbs from 1 to 7.
    I could have my "series" and parallel" mixed up. My electrical engineering and electrical contracting consultant (i.e. dad) died a few years ago and I'm still a bit lost. If it works with one bulb missing or burned out then that's probably what's really important... no matter what its called.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. This might be an unpopular opinion... but I'd use your contraption!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks Brian

I guess if we just call it a "working prototype" it doesn't have to be safe!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion... but I'd use your contraption!
    So would I!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Images
    Are those home depot bulbs or did you order them from somewhere?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I will be using Feit brand CFL blacklights, which yep, I get at Home Depot. Lowe's seems to have different brands, but I figured I should keep it consistent for now.

The porcelain bases are also from HD, though what I should've used were front-wiring sockets that I later found at Ace Hardware.

Images
    Thanks
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin