Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,267   Online: 996

Shooter
    35mm

filters: single-coated vs multi-coated

I'm aware that coated filters help reduce flare and all but is there a noticeable difference between the two types when a hood is used and the sun isn't in the frame?

The difference, if any, would be most noticeable in the shadow details?

If it matters: I'm thinking Hoya Contrast filters--B+W is too pricey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When a hood is used I have not noticed a difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are considering currently produced filters, the multi-coated versions may be manufactured to better tolerances and of better materials (brass rather than aluminum), due to the fact that they can be sold at higher prices.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you are placing two other surfaces in the in the image path I would buy the best filters that you can afford.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I'll stick with multi-coated.

I bought a set of non-HMC Hoya filters to see if I liked the change in tonal relationship for skin tones. I like what they do--I definitely do. I did a quick test by varying the apertures and keeping the shutter speed constant and I notice a lack of sharpness but since my aperture was opening up less detail is expected. I guess I can perform another test by varying the shutter speed but I thought I'd get some input first.

I'm leaning towards multi-coated because if/when I run into a situation where a bright object is in the frame, I'd probably regret having a non-multi-coated filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I'm leaning towards multi-coated because if/when I run into a situation where a bright object is in the frame, I'd probably regret having a non-multi-coated filter.
    The differences you see are probably imaginary, but what is really important is that you get whatever filter you think or know will give you the best results. I use both and have never seen a difference - ever. If you don't buy multi-coated but go the rest of your life thinking that you should have bought multi-coated, then your not doing yourself a favor, huh. All it takes is a few more bucks and you'll have satisfaction for a long, long time. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin