Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,534   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for you experiences and perspectives on this. I'll hope for the best with the delivery of the package.
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    From years of shipping internationally on ebay I've learned a lesson - never use USPS (or the country of orgins postal service) for anything of real value. Different countries use different data systems for tracking which means it's a crap shoot to have your package arrive safely and on time (or at all). Next time use a private international courier like fed-ex - they have a unified tracking system, better insurance and more accountability. Good luck with this one!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't rule out US anti-terrorism measures interfering with the shipment.

I sent a lens to a US buyer just after some scares with cargo planes carrying want-to-be bombs. This lens was as it turned out later literally shipped to the US. It spent a long time in between parties and didn't arrive until after a month.

Not saying this is the case with your shipment, but IME these US anti-terrorism measures are not always communicated well (for good reason perhaps) and therefore may interfere without you and others knowing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't start worrying about shipments from Europe to the US for about 3-4 weeks. 10 days is pretty typical, but anything that might get stuck in customs, particularly around the winter holidays, could get waylayed for another couple of weeks. Some international postal systems have tracking that dovetails between systems. For instance, you can send Global Priority with tracking to Canada or Germany and then track it on the other side, and I would assume there are reciprocal arrangements in the reverse direction for systems that are compatible in that way.

National postal systems are very commonly used for high-end goods, like diamonds, because the insurance mechanisms are easy to use, and it is possible to send registered international packages with stamps on all the seals to make it easier to detect tampering. Good enough for diamonds, good enough for cameras, I'd say.

That said, for countries where there is good reason to have some doubts about the postal system for particularly costly goods, I've used DHL or FedEx just to avoid the three weeks of limbo not knowing if it's going to make it. If the value of the item is less than a few thousand dollars, it probably isn't worth paying for international express courier service.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also find the USPS tracking system to be slow in updating. But I haven't had a problem with delivery of goods. I'd say every shipment I've made in the past year, whether first class parcel or priority mail, domestic or international, has been within the advertised delivery window. And no problem with damage. I'll accept the inconvenience of tracking not being promptly updated for the significantly reduced cost. And that's before the recently announced UPS rate hike.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey folks...

For those bashing the USPS, consider the fact that they handle about 1/3 of the total postal volume in the world. I think they do a pretty good job.

I get numerous packages via USPS every week. In fact it's the only package delivery service I use.

I've found their tracking information to be accurate. It sometimes lags actual movement by a day or so, but so what?

I use a little branch PO, and their tracking even distinguishes between arrival at the local sorting facility, at the main PO, and at the branch.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 12-25-2011 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those bashing the USPS
    With this in mind I should add to my previous post...

It was not my intention to say they have a bad service just that their tracking is a little less than adequate. My stuff always arrives safely in both directions. I think the USPS does a great job and it irks me when they talk about cutting service due to funding problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey now! Read carefully...I still use USPS for all domestic and any international packages of low value. My point is that only the privately own couriers like fed ex have continuous tracking in international exchanges and a true signature confirmation service that meets the requirements for paypal's seller protection. So if you send something overseas via USPS and the recipient claims INR, you'll have no recourse to prove otherwise and paypal will side with the buyer. Next time you look into using USPS to ship international notice that no matter how deluxe the service, signature of recipient is not offered. Same thing goes for packages coming into the states, delivered by USPS. This makes fraudulent INR cases in international exchanges a slam dunk con for anyone aware of paypal's buyer protection policy. Of course if you're the recipient and the package is truly INR then you will eventually get your funds back from paypal - nonetheless, it's a PITA from the buyer's perspective as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My point is that only the privately own couriers like fed ex have continuous tracking in international exchanges and a true signature confirmation service that meets the requirements for paypal's seller protection.
    Exactly. No one is bashing anything. People are providing their personal experiences as I requested. My primary problem with USPS is the lack of real tracking. Perhaps the minimal service they offer is good enough for some people but I prefer to track the day-to-day movements of my packages to the doorstep. That gives me a greater sense of security. In this situation I am without that security and I am left hoping for the best. This was not an ebay purchase but I did pay using PayPal so I suppose I'm still covered by PayPal...I hope.
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Next time you look into using USPS to ship international notice that no matter how deluxe the service, signature of recipient is not offered. Same thing goes for packages coming into the states, delivered by USPS. This makes fraudulent INR cases in international exchanges a slam dunk con for anyone aware of paypal's buyer protection policy. Of course if you're the recipient and the package is truly INR then you will eventually get your funds back from paypal - nonetheless, it's a PITA from the buyer's perspective as well.
    For Registered mail into the US a signature is required at the delivery address.
    Registered going out of the US is handled by the receiving country's postal regulations.
    In the US a registered piece of mail is handled separately and kept in a secure location until being delivered.

It isn't cheap!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin