Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,304   Online: 861

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like most of us I have a few bags (and have owned many more since the days when I first started photographing in the mid 1970's).

For my "daily" bag, I use a Billingham Hadley (M6 TTL + 4 lenses + film + iPod + wallet, keys. Very comfy and easy to use. I had a Lowepro "Stealth Reporter" at one point (a large one) and it was a nightmare for the reasons the OP outlined.

I had (still have) one of the original Slingshot 300 bags but this also opened the wrong way round andstuff fell out as it was facing away from the photographer. I wrote to Lowepro about this to see if anything could be done to improve what was, otherwise, a great bag. At the next "Focus on Imaging" show, I went to the Lowpro stand and met up with the Product Manager. He explained that they'd just introduced a new range called the "Classified Sling" which, when slung round to the front, opens up with the enrance at the top and the hinge on the far side - away from the photographer. This makes it easier to get into and also feels like you can keep your kit away from prying eyes / fingers when travelling.

I have the 220AW version and my wife has the 180AW version. Great pieces of kit. Comfortable, practical and not "obvious" as being camera bags. Worth checking out.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check out Kata as well, they have a few nice size shoulder bags that open the "correct" way. I was looking at a few in my local store recently although for some reason I can't seem to find them on their site right now. If I get back to the store again I'll try to get model numbers. They were really, really nice bags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bags I looked at were the Kata WS-604 and WS-606, sadly now discontinued. I may grab the 604 for my MF gear while they still have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ...it would be far more user friendly to have the lid hinged on the opposite side to the body...
    Duhhh... Turn the bag around.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Duhhh... Turn the bag around.

- Leigh
    That does not always work; the outside might have external pockets and you would not want them against your body.

The bag I use has the top hinge on the outside top edge and works very well, it can be held down by a short velcro flap, and the zipper that holds it down properly has two handles so it can be zipped up either way, or both directions at once. The brand was "Oyster" although not marked as such, I bought it in the early 80s at Jessops, the branch in Holborn, London; I replaced the strap as it got threadbare but it's still my go-to bag: certainly got my money's worth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin