Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,929   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    When I TTL meter from Nikon FE, Mamiya 645 and others I add +2/3 stops more over TTL metering for Hoya 25A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was it Ralph Lambrecht who recommended not taking a meter reading through the filter, but rather using the filter factor provided by the manufacturer?

I notice these factors are getting hard to find on the internet. For instance the Tiffen site doesn't give them.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have all my filter factor info taped to each filter case, Color, factor, etc. no excuse for error.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is a filter factor the same as stops? I didn't think so. If a filter has a factor of 3 wouldn't you open up 4 stops (1, 2, 4)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Three stops or eight times the time [23 = 8]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    According to Tiffen the filter factor of their 25A is 3, and they recommend you open up two stops to compensate for the light loss.
    Wait a minute; that makes no sense. For one, the two numbers don't match each other. If you were supposed to open up two stops, the filter factor would be 4. If the filter factor was 3, you would open up 1-2/3 stops. For another, the filter factor for the filter is 8, and you are supposed to open up 3 stops (2x2x2=8).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Is a filter factor the same as stops? I didn't think so. If a filter has a factor of 3 wouldn't you open up 4 stops (1, 2, 4)?
    If a filter has a factor of 3, you'd open up 1-2/3 stops.

The way I figure it out in my head is to divide 100 percent by the filter factor; that is how much light makes it through. Then I count stops to compensate. For example, with a filter factor of 3, one third of the light makes it through. Adding one stop would half 100 percent, to compensate down for 50 percent. Adding another stop would cut 50 percent in half, to compensate down to 25 percent. Therefore you open up between one and two stops. Since the light loss is slightly more than halfway between 50 and 75 percent, 1-2/3 is close enough.

If the filter factor was 8, I'd take 1/8 of 100 percent, to get 12.5 percent. Cut 100 percent in half once to get 50 percent. Cut 50 percent in half once to get to 25 percent. Cut 25 percent in half once to get 12.5 percent. Voila. Three stops makes up for the light loss.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-25-2011 at 02:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok to make complete sure here is what I plan on using.

Ilford delta 100 in 120 film with a the tiffen #25 red filter and my light meter

from what I see here most people agree that I should compensate for 2-3 stops in my light meter correct? To be clear I am not metering TTL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Wait a minute; that makes no sense. For one, the two numbers don't match each other. If you were supposed to open up two stops, the filter factor would be 4. If the filter factor was 3, you would open up 1-2/3 stops. For another, the filter factor for the filter is 8, and you are supposed to open up 3 stops (2x2x2=8).

If a filter has a factor of 3, you'd open up 1-2/3 stops.

The way I figure it out in my head is to divide 100 percent by the filter factor; that is how much light makes it through. Then I count stops to compensate. For example, with a filter factor of 3, one third of the light makes it through. Adding one stop would half 100 percent, to compensate down for 50 percent. Adding another stop would cut 50 percent in half, to compensate down to 25 percent. Therefore you open up between one and two stops. Since the light loss is slightly more than halfway between 50 and 75 percent, 1-2/3 is close enough.

If the filter factor was 8, I'd take 1/8 of 100 percent, to get 12.5 percent. Cut 100 percent in half once to get 50 percent. Cut 50 percent in half once to get to 25 percent. Cut 25 percent in half once to get 12.5 percent. Voila. Three stops makes up for the light loss.
    I know you're quite correct in everything you write about filter factors 2F/2F, and I thought when I read it on a Tiffen filter site today it was screwy at the time but I'm just quoting what Tiffen themselves say.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would give 3 stops more than the meter reading.
    Does the filter have the filter factor engraved on the ring? If it says "x8" then that confirms 3 stops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I got it now....

If the filter factor is 3 and the correct number of stops is 1.74, then the factors' Sq Rt equals the number of stops: Sq Rt 3 = 1.74

By jove, I think I've got it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin