Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,463   Online: 902

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Maybe I got it now....

If the filter factor is 3 and the correct number of stops is 1.74, then the factors' Sq Rt equals the number of stops: Sq Rt 3 = 1.74

By jove, I think I've got it!
    No, it's not the square root except in the case of filter factor 4, which is a 2 stop correction.
    It's actually 2^s = ff, where s=stop correction and ff= filter factor. In other words, two to the power of the stop correction = the filter factor.
    2 to the power of 2 = 4
    And 2 to the power of 3 = 8 (2 x 2 x 2). (8 is the filter factor, 3 is the stop corrrection)
    It's best to find a table with the equivilants, or make one yourself with a calculator that will do roots. Finding 2 to the power of ? = 5 (for instance) in your head ain't easy. Or 2f/2f's method will get you close.
    Last edited by johnnywalker; 12-25-2011 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I would give 3 stops more than the meter reading.
    Does the filter have the filter factor engraved on the ring? If it says "x8" then that confirms 3 stops.

I actually dont know I have yet to purchase it

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I couldn't find the two-stop recommendation on the Tiffen site within a few minutes looking.

x8 (three stops) used to be printed on the slip of paper you got with your typical filter.
    -If you want to keep it simple you can use that factor and be fine.

Adrian mentioned the instructions and chart from Gordon Hutchings.
    -In the specific example of the 25 Red filter, AFTER reading through the filter, you open up an ADDITIONAL two stops.

Hutchings method sounds like a good way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a table of filter factors and the corresponding f/stop correction:

Fact..Stops

This derives from the relationship between factor and stops thus: factor = 2^(stops).

So the factor for 1 stop = 2^1 = 2; the factor for 2 stops = 2^2 = 4; the factor for 3 stops = 2^3 = 8; the factor for 4 stops = 2^4 = 16.

Going the other way, stops = log(factor)/log(2).

A filter factor of 3 corresponds to a correction of about 1 2/3 stops (actually 1.585).

B+W shows a filter factor of 5 for their light red (25) filter, which is about 2 1/3 stops (2.322).

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 12-25-2011 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to this article on wikipedia, 25A has a factor of 5, which is slightly over 2 stops http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_factor , i have hoya and opening up roughly 2 stops worked fine for me.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    According to this article on wikipedia, 25A has a factor of 5, which is slightly over 2 stops http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_factor , i have hoya and opening up roughly 2 stops worked fine for me.
    awesome this was great ! Thanks everyone for the input

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    And according to this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wratten_number) 25A has a filter factor of 8. Thus my comments to check the recommendations of each filter manufacturer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another point to consider is that monochrome contrast filters will not have the same factor with all films.

It varies with the spectral sensitivity of the individual film. That's particularly true at the red end of the spectrum.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As stated it's very dependant on film and film speed/developer, the latitude of the film will also take care of minor differences between makes of filter I tend to use +1 stop for yellow, +2 for orange and +3 for red. Seems to work okay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin