Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,500   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the legitimate sellers on ebay also are govened by the rules and regulations and as such will list this in their auction listing, so I am sure you will run into a road block in trying to purchase the equipment, if the seller in not legitimate, you may find one, but think about it, would you want to buy a piece of equipment from a non-legitamate dealer that could do a lot of harm, not only to the subject, but the person operating the machine? X-ray is a very specialized field requiring many years of study to do it correctly, The idea is intriging, but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Morton - First of all, you need to consider a few things...

1 - Xrays are not "casual" things. There is no way in hell, any reputable hospital or radiologist will let you NEAR an Xray machine. Stevens, from the above website is a radiologist. He CAN use an Xray machine. Do not expect to be allowed "after hours" use of a machine. And if you are allowed, expect someone to find out, and expect to possibly....and here is the catch...GO TO JAIL. Governments have strict laws about this kind of thing. Especially in nations where they own the equipment....

2 - Xray machines are not "point and shoot". They need to be calibrated to the subject. Stevens uses this to his advantage being able to seperate out certain parts of the subject etc. I am not sure how particular machines do this, they may be automated somewhat now, but it is not to be played with.

3 - Stevens doesn't use a hospital Xray machine. He uses a scientific one which is very different. So, even a guy with training and access isn't using hospital equipment.

Now, you could probably go to one of those "full body scan" places and get an Xray done of the subject, but besides saying "give me a pictures of thsi and that", you will have no real control. Also you will be limited in the exposure you can give the subject. 36 frames is not healthy.....

DAMN. I better give up this idea! I guess they're strict rules about installing this stuff at home, too!

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been working with Real Time Xray systems since 1986 (FeinFocus and Phoenix). The real-time sensor arrays are digital, but we use the Xray source to expose film as well. Our machines are heavily lead shielded and radiation monitored.

I am going to try to attach an example (an unlucky ant that ventured into our lab).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ant2-Phoenix nano.jpg  
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My wife has fallen a few times and has been X-rayed. I will start with the photos of that...and the X-ray of my root canal in near past could be used too. My dentist would be thrilled to get a 16x20 print for her waiting room.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten, no, I don´t think there are rules for xray machines at home because there is not much reason to have one at home at all. ;-)

I know a guy who has a small x-ray source for photographic usage - but he is from that business, installing and servicing them and got that one from a dentist who got a new one.

Most modern systems (besides those digitals) don´t fog the film by themselves - the sources are small, radiation is relatively minute. IIRC they expose a luminous film which then only fogs the film itself.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roman, some exceptions are the Xray systems I am using. They are quite capable of exposing conventional Xray film and have real time CCD digital focal plane arrays as well.

These systems have very small (micron and nanometer range) spot sizes and an extremely wide power range (up to 230KV). Notice the resolution in the ant picture I posted.

However, they are very expensive and very heavy ($500,000. and 2 tons).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin