Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,988   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

X-Ray

Hi

I don't know much about taking X-ray photos, but is it something that you can do as an amateur? Is the equipment available to buy (used hospital equipment) and where does one buy the film?

I am aware of the risk when being exposed to radiation, but that you can protect yourself from. I think it would be a LOT of fun taking X-rays and use them for creative purposes.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Morten
    I have heard of fine art photographers renting an Xray lab to do creative shots, If I can remember the photographers work I will email you their names
    Try asking local hospitals,

Images
    There is a guy who is doing x rays of flowers. It is being done and they are pretty cool looking.

Look at these http://www.xray-art.com/
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Morten, have a look at www.xray-art.com
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool.

I'll try talking to the hospital. I know some nurses who might help me with that.

I mainly want to shoot the human body in X-ray.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Morten
    I thought shooting the human body and overlapping a realistic version on top was very interesting. Mikeal Graff photographer - toronto did exactly this a few years back, very talented photographer.
    As well another idea, would'nt it be neat to do cat scans or MIR of the body fluid path or nerve path or blood paths and overlay them onto the real body, I thought of this for Colour work , printed on Cibachrome .
    How much to rent a private MIR lab with technician.???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw a magazine article earlier this year about a guy that shoots almost exclusively in X-Ray. The article included a photo of a 747 that took something like 6 months to take and splice together. I will go through my collection of mags tonite and see if i can dig out the mag or the photographers name.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morton - First of all, you need to consider a few things...

1 - Xrays are not "casual" things. There is no way in hell, any reputable hospital or radiologist will let you NEAR an Xray machine. Stevens, from the above website is a radiologist. He CAN use an Xray machine. Do not expect to be allowed "after hours" use of a machine. And if you are allowed, expect someone to find out, and expect to possibly....and here is the catch...GO TO JAIL. Governments have strict laws about this kind of thing. Especially in nations where they own the equipment....

2 - Xray machines are not "point and shoot". They need to be calibrated to the subject. Stevens uses this to his advantage being able to seperate out certain parts of the subject etc. I am not sure how particular machines do this, they may be automated somewhat now, but it is not to be played with.

3 - Stevens doesn't use a hospital Xray machine. He uses a scientific one which is very different. So, even a guy with training and access isn't using hospital equipment.

Now, you could probably go to one of those "full body scan" places and get an Xray done of the subject, but besides saying "give me a pictures of thsi and that", you will have no real control. Also you will be limited in the exposure you can give the subject. 36 frames is not healthy.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with what Robert stated and here is another thought. Most X-ray, at least here in the states, has gone digital. This is part of the drop in analog film use. You might check with some mfg. because some companies do use it to look for stress fractures like planes, etc.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto what Robert stated. The use of X-rays in the US is regulated strictly under the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission and In Canada with the Atomic Energy Commission. I am certain there are similar rules and regulations in Europe. These rules and regulations cover the use and registration of equipment that contain nuclear isotopes for the production of x-rays. I'm pretty sure the language in the regs state that use is for medical and scientific purposes only. It covers the sale of this equipment as well, so I highly doubt you can just buy a used one from a hospital or dentist through above board channels (ie you need a lisence). This doesn't mean that you could not get an one time exemption lisence with conditions attached, but the paperwork filing would probably drown you in beaurocracy. I would caution you against this. X-ray over exposure can lead to some serious cancers.

Then again, there's always e-bay...you never know!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin