Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,453   Online: 709

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hot press - pressing prints larger than platen size

My hot press has a platen size of 19x16. Because of the way arm is made, it is possible to slide larger piece side ways.

Is it possible or even advisable to try to press, say 16x20 print, and come out looking perfectly pressed? Or, would it cause a crease where the platen ended? For the same token, is it possible/advisable to try to dry mount larger prints than the platen size?

In theory, it looks as if the ridge on the form caused by years of use might cause problems but I have no ways to try this, yet.

I am not interested in trying to use any other method for flattening the print. If you have an actual experience, I'm interested in hearing from you.

Thank you.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do it all the time.

Print Presentation –> Mounting Large Prints

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most presses have some sort of threaded adjustment screws on the top platen that allow you to adjust pressure. For flattening the print and/or dry mounting, the heat really does the work. You want the press to close firmly, but you don't want to have to force it, or you will get a crease if the print overlaps the edge.

The presses are designed this way so you can adjust the pressure and mount pieces much larger than the platen by using multiple passes. Use some old prints and adjust the settings.

Keep it consistent, too. If you set the pressure for dry mounting on 3/16 foam core, then use a piece of the same board underneath when you are flattening prints. Get some release paper for both processes. Always use release paper above the print; matt board can emboss the print.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What they said, plus how you support the overhanging portion is important, not to high, not too low. My suggestion is to have a supporting surface for this part, rather than holding it up manually during the pressing of the other part(s). If you aren't careful, you can get lines in the surface from "bending" at the end of the platen edge.
    It can be as simple as a stack of books.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I have to dry mount photos larger than the platen, I sandwitch the print and mount board between pieces of mat board that extend beyond the platen. This greatly reduces embossing by the edge of the platen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a good idea to have a pair of large sheets. I'll do that. Thanks everybody! (and ROL, thanks for the link)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same as above, I've used my press for years that way for larger prints both for flattening and in the past dry mounting. The scret is getting all the boards dry before you start and keeping them that way over a session.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know the english word, but is it okay to use "pizza paper" as releasepaper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Don't know the english word, but is it okay to use "pizza paper" as releasepaper?
    Is it the same as Parchment Paper?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like parchment paper is the right word, or baking paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin