Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,745   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Slide Projector / Carousel Compatibility?

I've got a question about compatibility between projectors and carousels...like are there compatibility issues?

Do all carousels work on all slide projectors...was this something that was standardized? I have access to my parents' Kodak projector, but I remember seeing a lot of non-Kodak (i.e. non-yellow) carousel boxes at my wifes' grandparents' house. What's my chances of just having them work? Or do I need to find out the manufacturer of the carousels and find a projector what will work with them?

Any help is appreciated.

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak made both 80 slide and 140[?] slide Carousel trays. Many non-Kodak companies also make Carousel compatible tray. Most likely they will work on a Carousel, but the only way to know is to try it. Several other projector companies make round trays, but they were not interchangeable with Carousel trays.

On eBay some sellers claim that AIREQUIPT Rotary Slide Trays will work on Carousel projectors, but I do not know.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Over the years I've had a few different kinds of projectors handed down to me.

I had some old Yankee carousel tray clones. These were probably what your parents had if they had a Kodak Carousel projector. The oldest 500 series projectors could only take 80-slide trays. Projectors that can use 140 trays can also use 80 trays.

Another popular tray system is the Sawyers. The circular tray sits vertically (more like a ferris-wheel), has zigzag teeth and the slides are held in the slots with springs. The Sawyers projector could also take rectangular trays.

Revere made another rectangular tray system that was incompatible with Sawyers.

Bill

ps I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Kodak carousel projectors, both work great.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the tips everybody, but I think things have gotten off-course.

I have access to a fully-working Kodak projector (probably one of the Medalist AF series, it can take the 140-slide carousels). I was trying to find out the chances that carousels of unknown manufacture and vintage (and which are currently 2000 miles away from me) would work on it. I guess I'll have to find out the manufacture of those before I even have a chance of knowing. It would be a PITA to bring the wrong projector the next time I head out that direction.

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the Kodak Carousel projectors for out sold all the other projector in the 1960's and 1970's, there is a high probability that the trays of unknown origin would work in the Carousel projector.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old Kodak Carousel trays came in cream coloured boxes, so there is still hope .

The top and bottom of the Kodak Carousel (and compatible non-Kodak replacement) trays have easily identifiable appearances and dimensions, so it would be fairly easy to determine if those other trays will work on your projector - a digital image or a photocopy of the bottom should suffice.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Other companies also made Carousel trays but only the 80 type, not the 140. The 140 trays will not work on some of the European Kodak projectors

AIREQUIPT Rotary Slide Trays will not work on Carousel projectors.
    In fact Airequipt was lucky they even worked on Airequipt projectors.
    I know . I lived through it.

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Multi Format

Try out a stack loader if you can find one.

Kodak also made a stack loader for the Carousels. I bought one shortly after getting my projector. They have the advantage of not having to buy carousel after carousel, which was expensive. The disadvantage was you could not reverse the slides. I then bought a couple of Logan metal boxes which held about 1000 slides or some such number, and you had to take out about 30 slides and hand load them into the stack loader. If I bought carousels, I would have a pile of about 15 of them. The Logan boxes are about the size of a shoe box. If you can find one on ebay, pick one up. I think Logan boxes are still made. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    The projector also has a stack loader, and that's great for slides that are in boxes. But I'm talking about a bunch of slides that are already in mystery carousels. I'd prefer to not have to unload all those carousels, and just leave them as-is.

--Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin