Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,331   Online: 967

Thread: Wall Lighting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wall Lighting

I want to convert some wall area into a mini-gallery for hanging prints. I was wondering if anyone has used recessed lighting for this and what you used. I'm not sure if an eyeball or wall wash light should be used. Also how would corner areas be lit. If I have a print the same distance from the corner on each wall it would seem like I would need two lights at the same optimum ceiling point. Each would point to a wall leaving the corner darker. I can see how track lights would allow for the lights for each wall but my wife wants recessed. Any slick way to handle the corner with these?
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen recessed ceiling lights that swivel/pivot in the mountings at a few small galleries. Some actually look good too.(the lights, not necessarily the work)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm. Proper, highly-flexible lighting vs. keeping the Mrs. happy. Seems like an easy decision to me. (Not keeping the Mrs. happy may obviate the need to light the wall.)

If you can find recessed fixtures that allow adjustment (aiming) from below, that would be ideal. Otherwise, you're kinda stuck with where it points when installed. That, I think, would mean that you'd need enough evenly-spaced fixtures, with the right amount of diffusion, to make the wall evenly awash in light. Diffusers are probably the solution to the corner problem, as well.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, there are examples of recessed lighting that is somewhat aimable, but not with the flexability of track lighting. With recessed lighting you are stuck with the placement of the units. So I would advise talking to the Mrs. before hand as to where you would like the work to be displayed.
    Or just put a whole lotta recessed lights in the ceiling and hang as many photos as you would like.
    Go to an electrical supply store and see what they have to offer. You will be surprised as to the options you have.
    And leave the corners dark, you will need a place to hide if the Mrs. doesn't like your choice of lighting scheme!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin