Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,317   Posts: 1,681,924   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

what is the proper height to hang art?

I have to hang some of my photos framed 19x24 and I can't remember or find my notes what the proper height they should be hung at. 57"? Is there a spacing formula or do I just visually judge?

It's gonna be in a somewhat chaotic public gallery, do you guys have any tips on hanging it so it doesn't walk away. The nails will go into a plaster wall I was thinking of rapping additional wire around a screw setting that into the wall and then attaching it to the hanging wire. I'll patch the walls afterwards. Any advice, links or general ideas would greatly be appreciated thanks jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt-shift
    I have to hang some of my photos framed 19x24 and I can't remember or find my notes what the proper height they should be hung at. 57"? Is there a spacing formula or do I just visually judge?
    I'd suggest "centered at average person eye-level".... should be somewhere around 57"... or so. Actually, if you expect children, I might go somewhat lower. For multiples, one above the other, take the "center" to be the "center of gravity for the array".

Security is something else ... an additional wire as you have suggested seems OK if a little involved. I've "curated" (who .. me?) a Public Gallery - owned by the Town - for a few years now ... and nothing has ever been stolen from the walls or statue bases. Not that it CAN'T happen, but it hasn't. I'd be more concerned about a night-time break in (that hasn't happened either) and there is little anyone can do about that, other than burglar alarms.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall seeing a "security" mounting system somewhere that allowed the frame to be "clicked" onto a mounting block, and then removed with a special tool. Unfortunately, I can't recall where I saw it. But, you might search around the sites for framing supply houses. Whether it's worth the trouble is another question.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mount them in metal frames and wire them to the mains But seriously I've seen a similar locking system used that Ralph mentions in art galleries. Each picture is attached to a sort of frame that swings out from the wall when unlocked with a key. Just have to remember which one. Any size of picture frame can be attached to the security frame from memory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never exhibited more than a dozen or so and have done it by eye. I reckon centered at 5"7" is about bang on. Might be worth considering plexi if you are in a location where people could catch a frame with a rucksack etc. Only problem is that kids tend to prod prints quite a bit and glass is far easier to clean.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it's art, then somewhere up where little fingers won't mess with it.

If it's pictures, go for eye level.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    57" (4' 9") seems a bit low for "eye-level". I'd probably center it around 66" (5' 6").

Shooter
    4x5 Format

thanks for the help

thanks all for taking the time to reply to such a basic question, jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didn't Light Impressions have a secure wall mount system available?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here is the link to the Light Impressions Hardware. My suggestion would be to talk to your local frame shop... They'll likely have them/or can get them in short order. (Nielsen makes them for their line of metal frames)

joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin