Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,622   Online: 843

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard 'body of work' used to describe a period of an artist's life and 'bodies of work' to describe a lifetime.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    I think Iron Maiden made two songs about her in the 80's and changed the name.Wasn't the price 15 quid(how much exactly is a quid?)
    Quid = One pound sterling.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Quid = One pound sterling.
    Thanks...I've been wondering for about two decades but never thought to ask.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always thought that a body of work equalled a body of work -- meaning a series of a type or an artist's/photographer's entire portfolio.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I generally think of the full output of an artist as their "body of work." Sometimes individual works by a particular artist may not be that interesting, but in the context of their full body of work, they may have meaning that they don't have on their own, because they may contrast with other works, or show the artist's progression over time, or they may reveal a theme that can only be recognized when comparing several works.

Usually one wouldn't say "I have created a body of work...," unless that person were reflecting on a long period of creation. A body of work is something that happens or emerges, but isn't really like a "project" that is created over a short, well defined time period.

Sometimes you might say that a group of artists produces a body of work over time.

It's not that obscure a concept, and it doesn't imply any sort of value judgment--just a quantity of sustained output over time that has some coherence.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Body of work" is just high-falutin' jargon for "some pictures"

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always associated the expression with either all the work produced over a life time "their body of work" or alternatively a series or collection around a concise theme.

Hard to explain, but then again as some one once said, "language is such an imprecise way to communicate"
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin