Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,418   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Body of work....?

I have heard this term quite often and I am not sure I understand it. What does a photographer mean when he says "I have created a nody of work"?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know about a nody, but a body of work is a group of related images that explore a subject in some depth...a theme. Weston's vegatables, or Adams Yosemite photographs are bodies of work. Sometimes all the images are of a single subject seen from several viewpoints in different light, and sometimes it's a group of images that relate to each other in other ways. I don't know how many images one needs to include to have them qualify as a body, but I suppose it would be a minimum of ten or so...in other words the number that would be included in a gallery show.
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    A body of work, if you ask me, is all the photographs a photographer makes in his lifetime.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    A body of work, if you ask me, is all the photographs a photographer makes in his lifetime.
    Excluding the bad ones, of course.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Excluding the bad ones, of course.
    Dam! In my case that dosn't leave many.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a body of work?

better a leg, an arm,
    a tongue or an eye

imagining too
    when an organ could
    be useful - a lung, a liver
    a heart or a gall bladder

veins, nerves, breath
    a cortex, a synapse
    why not a backbone of work

better yet, how about
    a corpse at play

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Body of work-Isn't that the medical term for what you have by the time you retire. your body is falling apart but you're supposed to spend the time doing the things you couldn't when you were working with a body that no longer works for you?
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My dearest friend P---- has a body of work. She's certainly quite an artist. I think that she still charges two bits*, but she claims that it's more like five bucks now.

Best,
    Helen

* 50 cents

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A body of work would be the complete collection of work by a photographer, good or bad, silly, flippant or indifferent, purposeful or simply works done for practice.

Often people are afraid to show their bad side as artists, meaning works they consider unsuccessful. However, I have found that I learn from the weak as well as the strong and correct.The deciding factor would be the reason that I use to examine that body of work. Am I doing it to learn about the photographer or how he worked? His subject matter? The number of shots he made before he got a winner? Etc.

I tend to throw out negatives that displease me. Nevertheless, much is conveyed in the review of the things I do keep, both good and bad. They will be my body of work and my legacy.

Rusty

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    My dearest friend P---- has a body of work. She's certainly quite an artist. I think that she still charges two bits*, but she claims that it's more like five bucks now.

Best,
    Helen

* 50 cents
    I think Iron Maiden made two songs about her in the 80's and changed the name.Wasn't the price 15 quid(how much exactly is a quid?)
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin