Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,162   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dismounting Dry Mounted Prints...

Is there any safe way to remove dry mounted prints from old non-archival Crescent mount boards...
    I believe I've heard that the Seal Tissue itself acts as a barrier, but would like to be able to re-mount
    the prints properly... I probably have 50 prints from several shows I had back in the '70s...!!! Thanks!

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Tom

This sounds like a difficult job, not impossible but tough, you will have to peel away the card from the back carefully without bending the original.
    Once you get close to the back of the print, you can try to roller off the tissue much like emulsion stripping.
    A wedding lab is a place to show you how to strip away the print, they do this for canvas mounting, at least before canvas digital prints.
    Once again I think this is a job where you want lots of time and patience, It also may be helpful to raise the humidity to assist.

I am not a print restorer and there may be some with credentials that can help more than this Physical Removal Approach.

Quote Originally Posted by tomkatf View Post
    Is there any safe way to remove dry mounted prints from old non-archival Crescent mount boards...
    I believe I've heard that the Seal Tissue itself acts as a barrier, but would like to be able to re-mount
    the prints properly... I probably have 50 prints from several shows I had back in the '70s...!!! Thanks!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is reprinting not possible? Might be easier, plus you'll know about the archival permanence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done this before with an iron. If you can heat the edge of the print and get it loose (put a sheet of watercolor paper over it) you can then hold the corner and gently pull it up as you slowly draw the iron across the print. I hope that was clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi George,

Unfortunately the negatives for many are gone...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    I have done this before with an iron. If you can heat the edge of the print and get it loose (put a sheet of watercolor paper over it) you can then hold the corner and gently pull it up as you slowly draw the iron across the print. I hope that was clear.
    Hmm... that's an interesting idea... I also have a dry mount press, maybe carefully heating them back up and trying your plan would work...

Tx,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried it myself and it didn't budge.

My fiber print was dry mounted to an archival backer board using low temperature mounting tissue. I reheated it to higher temp than used to see if it would loosen. It didn't.

It might be a case where you can cause more damage than just leaving it alone.... I was just testing with a junk print so no loss for me. If it was a one off deal like yours, I wouldn't try it....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    AN oven at about 200-225 deg F, and a good thin spatula. The glue melts making it easy to lift the print carefully with the spatula.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sliding in release paper as you go is a viable approach rather than trying to heat the whole thing at once.

Old Kodak type 1 dry mount can almost be peeled loose cold if it was not done just right the first time.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom,

If the print cannot be reproduced I would not try to remove it. I have a couple of signed Ansel Adams prints that were purchased already mounted and later over matted at a frame shop. In both cases it appears to me that acid-free board was not used (even by AA). The board is not pristine but there is no damage to the prints. I have had them for 40+ years.

IMO, if it's not broke don't fix it. If you are going to display them use an archival over mat.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin