Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,777   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

query about facile, 'no drama' print presentation

Is there an easy way to present prints to the public (from flea markets to more formal)? My query involves this:

I was thinking of buying some high quality acid-free 'card' stock, then folding a sheet and cleanly cutting a rectangle on the front to make a quick window 'mat'. Also, I would like to receive affirmation on the use of Scotch (3M) Double Stick Removable Poster Tape or acid-free glue sticks and let that be that.

Is this a 'disaster'? There is so much dire warning about unsafe materials that I think, perhaps, this fear mongering has been 'done to death'. Today, even standard copy paper does not yellow with time and I think that the improvement with even ordinary office materials just might not be so much of an issue, unlike when I was a kid in the 50s when Scotch tape would yellow in a matter of weeks.

I am not Ansel Adams but I would like to know that a few decades will not be unbearably unkind to my feeble attempts. Please, all, try to remember that even if a print is 'done' to archivable standards you still have airborne pollutants to contend with. The world is not an incubator. Please help separate 'trend' from fact for all of us. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your acid free card stock idea sounds fine, then just use archival corners or linen tape for attaching the print. Either method is archival, reversible, and incredibly cheap. I've been using the same box of clear corners for a long time; the cost is almost nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Your acid free card stock idea sounds fine, then just use archival corners or linen tape for attaching the print. Either method is archival, reversible, and incredibly cheap. I've been using the same box of clear corners for a long time; the cost is almost nothing.
    Photo corners are indeed extremely inexpensive. They are also very versatile, because if you print all of your work at the same print size, the photo corners allow you to just remove a print from its mount, and replace it with another.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you can't find photo corners you can
    clip the corners off of an envelope or make them yourself
    they are just a rectangular piece of paper folded ..
    and with a little glue stick, you are off to the races
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Archival corners and mat board 2ply and 4ply, then place in a clear archival sleeve. For more formal presentation sectional aluminum frames. Check the PrintFile site (they are APUG supporters).

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given your rational approach to the end product I see nothing wrong with doing it on the cheap. LI () used to sell pre–made window mats of the kind you're after, but they can easily and cheaply be constructed at home. Instead of folding matting board, use 2 for each size/print. Simply cut a window (beveled would be nice) in one and mount the print to the other with large photo corners, as previously suggested. Just make certain the window mat borders cover the photo corners completely and overmat the print. Then, and this is the not–so–tricky part, hinge the two boards together with (self adhesive linen, if possible) tape, at the top for horizontals or on the left side for verticals. You can remove print, to be sold unmounted if desired, and reuse the presentational mountings over and over again, or sell with the print. The whole affair is not that much different function wise than "normal" presentation methods (see Print Presentation) – just loose, without archival materials, and reusable. Quite "facile", but also elegant.

P.S. Do yourself and your customers a favor and please don't use glue (sticks or otherwise) at all.
    Last edited by ROL; 02-03-2012 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not just simply placing small pieces of the Scotch double stick poster tape behind the print? That seems even simpler. Thank you all. And, ROL, why not glue sticks. Are they poison to prints? - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I do have another question? Oftentimes I see prints for sale at flea markets or even galleries where they are covered with an extremely clear plastic of some sort. I believe that this is done to keep out the dirt and smudges. What is this covering and where can it be bought? Thanks. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,
    My wife is a painter and has used these clear plastic bags for unframed work. They are acid free. Try http://www.dickblick.com/products/acid-free-poly-bags/
    or
    http://www.cheapjoes.com/search/?v=p...ve+bag&x=0&y=0
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Are they poison to prints? - David Lyga
    Pretty much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin