Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out both vendors. I hate buying full sheets of 32x40 and cutting them myself. But buying them pre-cut works for me.
    Best,
    Don
    i always cut myself. what's rhe gig deal?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm not as as skilled as you ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Hi Ralph,
    I don't have a 32" cutter so I have to use the art store's cutter. Most stores in my area don't have cutters available for customers to use for fear of being sued by clients losing fingers. Pre-cut is so easy. BTW, great to see you posting again. Missed ya when you were absent. Best wishes for your health Ralph.
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    It's a skill, maybe even an art, that some of us simply hasn't mastered yet. I rarely cut my own because it generally take too long, has to be re-done once or twice, and never looks quite as clean as professionally cut mats. Besides, I'm space-constrained and just don't have the room for cutting mat. I totally understand why some people opt for pre-cut!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Late last year I bought myself a used mat cutter.

Using it reliably and relatively effortlessly is definitely a learned skill - at least I hope it will be.

I do like, however, being able to cut a mat to the size and aspect ratio that best suits the individual photograph.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Dexter mat cutter and a 16" straight edge. Simple and cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good info I will be using soon. precut mats are so expensive in stores. btw are 4ply mats a bit too thin? or ok for a temporary installation lasting 2-3 days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Good info I will be using soon. precut mats are so expensive in stores. btw are 4ply mats a bit too thin? or ok for a temporary installation lasting 2-3 days?
    I usually use 4 ply and think they're fine. The cheap ones you get with frames or at craft stores are 2 ply or less, so the 4 ply look better than that at least. I have a hard time cutting 8 ply myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4 ply ones are pretty much "standard". All mine are 4 ply - some are single matted, some are double matted.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I highly recommend FramingSupplies.com.

I have worked with them for several years. They custom cut my matts on the board of my choice and ship them to me here in Atlanta.

(Just to be sure, I have no financial relationship with them, other than sending them about $100 a month!)

Parker
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fdi View Post
    ... When I was first starting Frame Destination I bought pre-cut until we had the revenue to get computerized mat cutters. ...
    I'll add to the endorsement of Frame Destinations. I have visited their shop and been given a tour. They are very very good and Mark is a class act. The mat cutting machines are something to see. They can do basically anything.

I have no doubt that the other vendors mentioned and endorsed by others are also good, too; in all fairness. But Frame Destinations is a sponsor of APUG, as well as a supplier.

Cheers,

And PS: Ralph, I do cut my own, but it is a learned skill and requires the proper tools.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin