Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 984

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Limited edition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Limited editions are good for business people who happen to be dealing in photography. Open editions are great for photographers with faith in the quality of their photographs.
    hi jim

i don't understand this at all.

what if a photographer didn't want to be pinned down
    and have to print the same old boring negative 500 or 200 or 100 or 20 times ?
    when i was making single edition prints, it was because the idea of a singular image
    really differentiates a photograph as a hand made object, unlike something that can be
    obtained by pressing a button &c. i still believe this today ( 20+ years later ) ...
    it always makes me laugh when i hear of someone with an edition of 500 images.

what's the point, to flood the marketplace with "loved images" ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-06-2013 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Peter Lik sells his prints as 1/500 haha!

I agree it's hard to make editions with printed media now, and I for one don't have those storage capacities available to make a full run like that.

~Stone
    You don't have to make a full run, though. You just have to cap the quantity. That is, you produce as needed, and when you sell the maximum in the edition, you don't sell any more.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahfoto View Post
    I'm selling prints through a gallery, I made one edition 1/12 and they seemed to think it was a very small edition. I realise that there is not one right answer but how many prints would you limit yourself to?
    Is it usual to sell out a full edition? (as you notice I haven't sold that many yet...)

// Sarah
    I've stuck with open editions, and think if you are going to do a limited edition, 12 sounds pretty good. Remember, they are your images, you can decide how many to make. Despite deciding to do open editions, I have a gallery that represents my work, but I really haven't sold very many prints. I think my work is a little too personal to be a good sell, and I'm not convinced that I'd suddenly sell a bunch if I did limited editions. With that said, I keep a data base of my work, and have a record of how many prints exist in the world and where they are, and I number the prints so if someone buys one, they know they have print number 3.

I've never liked the idea of limiting editions because it has nothing to do with the medium, which has the ability to be reproduced, and everything to do with marketing and benefits the collector in the secondary market only. The photographer has the headache of keeping track of the edition without any real benefit.

But to jnanian's point, I have generally won't plan to make more then 10 or 12 prints, but if I want a 13th, I'd like that option. A limited edition of 500 is laughable, and even an edition of 25 seems like an open edition! That's a lot of prints!!
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 01-06-2013 at 03:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Limited editions are a pretentious and superficial old marketing ploy that never really worked. Let the market decide how many you sell. If you only sell one it is more valuable as a single work of art than if you sell a thousand.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi jim

i don't understand this at all.

what if a photographer didn't want to be pinned down
    and have to print the same old boring negative 500 or 200 or 100 or 20 times ?
    when i was making single edition prints, it was because the idea of a singular image
    really differentiates a photograph as a hand made object, unlike something that can be
    obtained by pressing a button &c. i still believe this today ( 20+ years later ) ...
    it always makes me laugh when i hear of someone with an edition of 500 images.

what's the point, to flood the marketplace with "loved images" ?
    Well the ones I saw the 20/500 were selling for $20,000 each and would increase by increments of like $5,000 each time one sold... It was certainly not fair when I can't sell my favorite image for $375.... Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well the ones I saw the 20/500 were selling for $20,000 each and would increase by increments of like $5,000 each time one sold... It was certainly not fair when I can't sell my favorite image for $375.... Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you sure they were selling at $20,000 each and not just priced at that? There is a world of difference between price and actual sale.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Limited editions are a pretentious and superficial old marketing ploy that never really worked.
    I disagree. I've editioned 20x24's for art festivals and galleries. Sure, it's a marketing ploy, but it works. Smaller sizes are open ended, and the LE's are much more expensive, but people will pay for the perceived exclusivity. My mistake, starting out, was editions of 100. I wish I had chosen 25. Still, I probably have close to 10 images which are near (or over) the 50/100 mark.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with numbering prints, as long as you're honest about your edition numbering. In a gallery, or art festival, it allows you to hit price points which can compete with other media.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I disagree. I've editioned 20x24's for art festivals and galleries. Sure, it's a marketing ploy, but it works. Smaller sizes are open ended, and the LE's are much more expensive, but people will pay for the perceived exclusivity. My mistake, starting out, was editions of 100. I wish I had chosen 25. Still, I probably have close to 10 images which are near (or over) the 50/100 mark.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with numbering prints, as long as you're honest about your edition numbering. In a gallery, or art festival, it allows you to hit price points which can compete with other media.
    Well you can always make 10 to start with but bit sell 1/25 but instead start with 10/25 or 8/25 so the perception changes, you aren't cheating exactly haha

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well you can always make 10 to start with but bit sell 1/25 but instead start with 10/25 or 8/25 so the perception changes, you aren't cheating exactly haha
    I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying edition the prints at 25, but start numbering them at 8/25?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Limited editions are a pretentious and superficial old marketing ploy that never really worked. Let the market decide how many you sell. If you only sell one it is more valuable as a single work of art than if you sell a thousand.

hi clive

i have never made single prints to be superficial, a marketing ploy, or as a gimmick
    and i continue to make them.

when i started to make these images, i stuffed the things in and under the enlarger and when i got a good image
    i removed the stuff and made something else.
    just to give an example, i have a series of images i made from a sheet of glass with liquid wax ( and other things ) on and in it.
    when the wax hardened to something solid that light couldn't pass through, it was done.

there is no way i could replicate the images i got, or other hybrid prints i have made ...
    i guess i could make a paper negative ? or a camera negative ( or scans )
    and machine printed off 10 or 20 or ? prints of the same image .. but i don't really see the point ...
    and the people who have the images i have made have been happy to have something in their collection ( or on their wall )
    that no one else has, or can replicate ....

i can understand why photographers don't like that idea or one image, after all, a negative ( or skkan ) allows a photograph to be made an infinite number of times ... this strength is photography's greatest weakness.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin