Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,424   Online: 1113

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Limited edition

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying edition the prints at 25, but start numbering them at 8/25?
    No I'm saying make 10 prints to start with, but store 1/25-7/25 and sell 8/25 FIRST, so you MADE 1/25 first, but held off on selling it, gives the appearance of a popular print, also can stager the numbers at different galleries or shows so SOME are 1/25 and others are higher... It's a scam but technically you did make print 1 first, but then when you sell the first 10 then you make more of course.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I consider that dishonest. I don't want my work to be in any way associated with the word "scam".

There have occasionally been times when I've sold # 27 before #26, but it's because I hand-paint, and the client preferred the colors in #27. Still, they were well aware of the existence of #26, and the circumstance behind the sale.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

I consider that dishonest. I don't want my work to be in any way associated with the word "scam".

There have occasionally been times when I've sold # 27 before #26, but it's because I hand-paint, and the client preferred the colors in #27. Still, they were well aware of the existence of #26, and the circumstance behind the sale.
    I didn't mean it as truth, it was more said as harhar but not to be taken as a real suggestion.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know, but the art world is loaded with stories of scams...
    Regardless of your endeavor (be it photography, or anything else), you have to look in the mirror. All you really have is your integrity. I've had people collecting my work for 20 years. Every year, or two, they buy something. Some own 2 dozen images. They keep buying because they know I won't scam them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

I know, but the art world is loaded with stories of scams...
    Regardless of your endeavor (be it photography, or anything else), you have to look in the mirror. All you really have is your integrity. I've had people collecting my work for 20 years. Every year, or two, they buy something. Some own 2 dozen images. They keep buying because they know I won't scam them.
    That's great, so what if you were to hang your work at 10 galleries and you gave each gallery 10 of the same pieces (let's say you were starting out, not much money so you could only make 10 of the same to save at framing/matte/print but wanted to get your name out there and had the opportunity to hang free in all the galleries) would you give each gallery one 1/10 one 2/10 etc etc 10/10 or would you give the first gallery all the 1/10's the second all the 2/10's etc.

Which scenario would you choose and do either strike you as a scam?

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a highly unlikely scenario to be in 10 galleries at one time. However, I'll play along... If the edition was 10, each gallery would get 1 of that image. 1/10, 2/10, etc. If your talking about hanging 10 different images, it may make sense to give each gallery the same edition number, mostly because it would be easier to keep track. That's not a scam. A scam would be to claim the edition was 10, but making 20 (having 2 number 1's, etc.). A scam would be to claim an edition is 10, but falsely claiming that numbers 1-6 have been sold when, in fact, they never existed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

It's a highly unlikely scenario to be in 10 galleries at one time. However, I'll play along... If the edition was 10, each gallery would get 1 of that image. 1/10, 2/10, etc. If your talking about hanging 10 different images, it may make sense to give each gallery the same edition number, mostly because it would be easier to keep track. That's not a scam. A scam would be to claim the edition was 10, but making 20 (having 2 number 1's, etc.). A scam would be to claim an edition is 10, but falsely claiming that numbers 1-6 have been sold when, in fact, they never existed.
    Thanks for playing along, the second scenario "ten different images" was what I was referring to.

I wouldn't claim that they were sold for sure, but knowing gallery owners who are all about profit to keep the money flowing,they would have that opportunity but I'm sure you vet them.

I guess I'm done with scenarios, you're a stand up guy.

I'll be as honest as I can with gallery owners, trying to convince them that Kodachrome can't be processed by a home lab is hard sometimes, the newer ones don't understand and don't believe me...

~Stone

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi jim

i don't understand this at all.

what if a photographer didn't want to be pinned down
    and have to print the same old boring negative 500 or 200 or 100 or 20 times ?
    when i was making single edition prints, it was because the idea of a singular image
    really differentiates a photograph as a hand made object, unlike something that can be
    obtained by pressing a button &c. i still believe this today ( 20+ years later ) ...
    it always makes me laugh when i hear of someone with an edition of 500 images.

what's the point, to flood the marketplace with "loved images" ?
    If the public demands 500 prints, raise the price and hire a darkroom assistant. It sounds awfully unfair to deny people prints they really want just to make one client happy with a singular image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    If the public demands 500 prints, raise the price and hire a darkroom assistant. It sounds awfully unfair to deny people prints they really want just to make one client happy with a singular image.
    No, not unfair.

There are certain things that are just one of a kind and that's it.

For me it's also not about making one or 10 clients happy, personally I don't necessarily want to make 5, 50, or 500 of any any one print.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No, not unfair.

There are certain things that are just one of a kind and that's it.

For me it's also not about making one or 10 clients happy, personally I don't necessarily want to make 5, 50, or 500 of any any one print.
    You're fortunate to have that luxury I suppose, if anyone offered me a chance to sell 500 of the same print I might start crying with joy or my face permanently stuck smiling. I guess it's about your level in life.

~Stone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin