Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 794

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Limited edition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You're fortunate to have that luxury I suppose, if anyone offered me a chance to sell 500 of the same print I might start crying with joy or my face permanently stuck smiling. I guess it's about your level in life.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its just a choice Stone.

The problem with a 500 print order, for me, is printing 500 "dupes" in an enlarger. That is a lot of tedious work and time and spotting and ...
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Its just a choice Stone.

The problem with a 500 print order, for me, is printing 500 "dupes" in an enlarger. That is a lot of tedious work and time and spotting and ...
    Choice is relative if you're starving...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Choice is relative if you're starving...

~Stone

True, but the unit price will probably be different.

Selling one at $1000 may be a profitable thing,

Selling 1000 at $10 may not even cover costs, even though it is 10 times the revenue.

It depends on the business model.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    If the public demands 500 prints, raise the price and hire a darkroom assistant. It sounds awfully unfair to deny people prints they really want just to make one client happy with a singular image.
    hi jim

i see what you are saying
    but i don't find it unfair at all
    to deny the public or my clients ...

i don't really need to hire a lab assistant or any of that
    i have done runs of 500 prints before, it really isn't that hard
    when you are processing 16 prints at a time ...

instead i would rather make single images and have my clients
    pay a fair price knowing there aren't 19 or 49 or 99 or 199 or 499 of the same image
    floating around ...

stone,
    its not a permanent smile or grin, its being imprisoned by one's work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sarah,
    congrats.great success!the best text i've ever seen on this subject is from brook jensen. google'what size edition', and you'll find his article. limit myself to 12 first and then open up to 50 is demand warrants that move.i have not sold all my editions but have sold some.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The reason why a client would like to have a limited edition is that, if you happen to become famous in the future or if your image appears on TV and all the US want to have a copy in their living room, their "bet" on the quality of your work is paid back.

An art buyer can be seen as somebody thinking he has the taste to understand art before the greater market will. Art collectors see themselves as skilful investors. It was always like that. When the Colonna and the Pamphilj of this world built their "galleries" of contemporary masterpieces, the masterpieces were not necessarily priced as masterpieces. Only time gave them justice as fine collectors.
    When a - say - Cardinal Scipione Borghese bought a statue or a painting, he was doing it not just for the pleasure of owning, but for the pleasure of "betting" on his own good taste and on his "nose" for art, and the pleasure of building a collection as a reflection of your own "nose" in art is probably not less than the pleasure of owning the art pieces.

Your art collection doesn't speak about your purse only. It also speaks about your taste and your intelligence.

If somebody buys a picture don't rule out that he does it in the same spirit of those great collectors of the past. He buys a work which he hopes one day to become a recognised work by a recognised artist. In buying your work, he's "betting on you" as an artist. There's also a number game here: you buy 100 works, and if 1 or 2 actually work out to be perceived as important works, that might compensate the expense on all the others.

So, to answer the original question, some people say that the right number is around 100 for a BIG image.

100 guarantees the buyer that, if you happen to become famous, his investment in your work will pay back. 100 doesn't really limit your likely income, but does give an incentive to a buyer: remember he might be buying not just for his personal use, but with an hope of a future larger reward.
    Leaving an edition "unlimited" doesn't give any incentive in "betting on your work" to such kind of collector. You might sell to the merely aesthetically driven buyer, but not to the "old style" collector.

I say BIG image because if you happen to become famous and widely acknowledged you will honour your 100 limited edition for the large prints but you will print, in larger or unlimited editions, some smaller sizes of the same image. That is perfectly acceptable practice as far as I understand and will actually possibly increase the value of the big size photographs printed as limited edition.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 01-08-2013 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    printing in the darkroom makes every print unique. it's getting hard to say what an original photograph is;the negative?.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gosh. How do you keep from going insane personally printing the same thing over and over again?
    The whole limited edition concept is pretty silly. If someone is working from and etched lithographic
    plate or stone, it just wears out. So-called photolithographs, by comparisons, are sometimes made
    in "limited" editions of tens of thousands, just in case there are that many suckers out there, because they are generally worth far less than the frame they're put in. Once in awhile I've accepted a high premium from somone wanting me to sell them a unique print, never printed again.
    But a lot of this sounds like gallery marketing tricks as usual. Some photographers have resorted to
    pricing the first ten or so prints at one level, then raising the price on successive batches. Still,
    are that many really going to sell, or is this just jockeying the perceived value of the print? My
    custom is just to make two or three of any given image, with one reserved for my own collection.
    Move on to the next image. But I'm really of the same mind as Stieglitz - there only one "best" print
    of anything.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about price? I am doing contact prints from medium format and 5x7 large format. Limiting the editions to 10. Have a start price at 150 euro sounds resonable for the print size?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    How about price? I am doing contact prints from medium format and 5x7 large format. Limiting the editions to 10. Have a start price at 150 euro sounds resonable for the print size?
    That all depends on your popularity and the quality of the work, if your name is known then you can charge more, etc, depends on how it's framed and matted as well, custom framing is costly so sometimes they want to customize but other times they want it already framed. This whole things is highly subjective.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin