Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,053   Online: 888

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Limited edition

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Limited edition

I'm selling prints through a gallery, I made one edition 1/12 and they seemed to think it was a very small edition. I realise that there is not one right answer but how many prints would you limit yourself to?
    Is it usual to sell out a full edition? (as you notice I haven't sold that many yet...)

// Sarah

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My editions are limited to 15 but I only make each print in the edition as and when one has sold - therefore each print is slightly different.

My best seller has sold 10 copies and the last 5 are now more expensive.

Best,

David.
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Against my preference I now limit my prints, some to eight, but most to 32 per image - Limiting an edition has become a gallery prerequisite

As a former print-maker it seems odd to me to limit an edition when the lines holding the ink are not there to be squashed by each pass through the press

John

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    few things are mre optimistic than photographic edition limits.the most and las-sold prints are usually 1 of xxx.that says it all!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've thought about doing limits and decided not to make that promise.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have had a few editions sell out, but a lot that have not

Generally images start to sell about ten years after an image is made, rarely when it is new and excites me, so often I need to refocus my mind to the image to make a good print, as I would rater be making prints of new work, but $ales are $ales

Later neg/print interpretations are normally better, also some mental magic springs the printing of an image back into my mind - But don't ask me to remember other things, like my wife telling me not to buy a pie when I go into town on my own, funny, that

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think limited editions have different connotations to different people. Some will have a numbered edition of a particular size print along with X# artist's proofs. There could then be other limited editions at other sizes or printed on a different medium. Some collectors like the lower numbers and frequently the price goes up as the series sells. It can be confusing and I guess there is no rule. Each photographer sets his own. Perhaps if you work exclusively through one gallery they know their market and that would be the way to go.

Personally, if you are hand (wet) printing each on as David mentioned each is a one of a kind especially if they might be an alternative process such as pt/pd. Then there is the issue of dry mounting or not and signing the mount or print and front or retro. I believe AA printed the same negative differently at different times.

Numbered photographic prints printed digitally may be a different story. I guess any thing goes as long as the check clears. Once purchased it is then the buyer's property.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi sarah

for a long while i used to make single editions.
    i called them "hybrid prints" back in the 80s and 90s
    because they cobbled together a variety of different media
    into a photographic print ( plastics, inks, collodion, gelatin, found, hand made, camera made negatives )
    when i got a print that worked, i disassembled everything and even if i tried to "rebuild it" i couldn't,
    and i liked the whole idea of singularity, especially with photography .. an artform based on making copies ...

they sold pretty well and were a lot of fun to make

to answer your question ... make whatever size edition you want ... 5, 12, 100 ... there isn't a " right size "

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    few things are mre optimistic than photographic edition limits.
    I have sold multiple prints in the past and hope to do so again and I have rarely seen so much said in so few words.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin