Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,909   Posts: 1,630,624   Online: 956

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Sanding the platen on my Seal 500TX - surface is badly marked - any ideas ?

Hi all -

A few years ago I bought what looked like a really clean Masterpiece 500TX press for a song. I had to separate the platen from the base just to move it into my home. Well, it has sat for a few years and now I am ready to use it. I looked closely at the black finish on the heating surface, it has a fair amount of adhesive stuck to it, which I am sure could be removed (have already been at it for a few days) - but I see that the framing shop I bought it from let someone scrape the platen with a razor (honest - it wasn't me). There are plenty of scratches and sections of finish missing.

Since the press I replaced with this one did not have this black finish, I was thinking, rather than working for days to try to get the old adhesive off, why don't I just use a random orbital sander with some brillo and buff off the finish (and the adhesive)? I always have used a sheet of 2 ply mounting board and a sheet of release paper over my work when mounting anyway.

Has anyone been thru this? Thoughts?
    Thanks,

Jeromie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may find this thread interesting: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...200-press.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to also take a look at this:

Seal/Bienfang Platen Cleaner

Expensive, but everyone who uses it reports that it works like a charm.

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey there ic-racer ! Thanks for that = exactly what I needed. Looks like you and I have very similar gear (I have an L184 that I've been working on for a few years).

I will sand the platen, just like you did. I also have a ratty 200 which I think I'll restore as well. More than 2 drymount presses is hoarding, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianfoto View Post
    Hey there ic-racer ! Thanks for that = exactly what I needed. Looks like you and I have very similar gear (I have an L184 that I've been working on for a few years).

I will sand the platen, just like you did. I also have a ratty 200 which I think I'll restore as well. More than 2 drymount presses is hoarding, right?
    You need a spare of everything!

I don't know if I indicated it in the prior thread but I used a block sander. I believe I wet sanded starting around 240 down to a 1500 grit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    You may want to also take a look at this:

Seal/Bienfang Platen Cleaner

Expensive, but everyone who uses it reports that it works like a charm.

Ken
    Yep ! Seen that stuff- wow, they are proud of it. My concern is more about the platen's scarred finish. If I'd never seen the surface in good light, I'm sure I wouldn't have cared, but now......

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin