Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,333   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just so folks don't get the idea that I'm subborn or opinionated about Rotatrims; I have four guillotine trimmers ranging from a 50+ year old 12" Premier, a 20 year old 24" Premier, a 15 year old 15" Ingento, a 3 year old Harbor Freight 12", plus a 20 year old 16" Rotatrim, and a 15 year old 30" Rotatrim. Some are easier to use for certain tasks, that's why I keep and use them all.

They all cut cleanly.
    The secret?
    I keep them sharpened.
    Especially with guillotine trimmers, use a professional sharpening service.
    $30 in the hands of a pro, and you'll have a new trimmer.

Before I retired, my profession was in the technology of slitting flexible web materials (Google my name Reinhold Schable). In my consulting jobs it was a constant task to convince people that the basic requirement was to keep two properly sharpened edges in intimate contact when slitting any material. It seemed that everyone wanted to buy the latest wonder gizmo instead of learning what constitutes a truly sharp edge and how to keep the two blade edges it in their proper relationships for a clean slit.

Keep those edges sharp, and keep those blades in intimate contact

End of sermon.

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rototrims are the best for good clean cuts. I have an old guillotine cutter though that will go through a hundred sheets of fiber paper in one fell swoop. I like that too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Another vote for Rotatrim (but make sure that is of the double rail variety). I have tried a number of cheaper imitations of Rotatrim but found them to be:

Not truly square
    Fiddly transparent paper holding strip
    Sharpening was poor
    Single rail (allowing wobbling of the cutting blade)
    Mediocre build quality

Also very good is a high quality straight edge with sufficient anti slip features combined with (non-medical) scalpel. If you do not cut a lot of prints / are not in a rush this combo works very well and is considerably cheaper than a Rotatrim.

Hope you find the appropriate solution for your needs.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have both a 24 inch and 50 inch Rotatrim, and both are the old-style dual bar type. I'd never use it
    for mounting board, simply because that kind of application dulls the blade a lot quicker. I have a
    big Fletcher cutter for that kind of thing, as well as a cutting bar and scale on my big matcutter.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another vote for Rotatrim.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Dahle that is probably the next best thing to a Rotatrim. It produces nice super sharp clean cuts. The clamp for the paper is a tich fiddly, but only if you're doing something odd like I am and using it to cut down sheet film to a smaller size, and need to trim less than 1.5" the "wrong" way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have something like a rototrim but it isn't a rototrim ( but works just as well )
    i also use reinhold's pals .... they are very old and very sharp ( and the blades make intimate contact )
    and they work great ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin