Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,107   Online: 850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    my gallery is in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
    If I every get to Kalgoorlie, I'll be sure to visit your gallery. You never know where I might show up; just ask Nige and Kevin.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    I agree Graeme, there has to be some concrete encouragement, in my case via sending print examples so that when viewing my work online potential customers have an understanding of the true print quality and know that the scan is but a pale representation.
    Just curious, how do you do this sampling? Make a print and stamp "Sample" over it in big letters? Give them something of absolutly no artistic value? (Here is a photo of my half eaten bag of cheetos) Other?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    Just curious, how do you do this sampling? Make a print and stamp "Sample" over it in big letters? Give them something of absolutly no artistic value? (Here is a photo of my half eaten bag of cheetos) Other?
    I send a workprint of an image that they already have seen online and have found pleasing. It is not trimmed or mounted, not spotted (if needed), not numbered or signed and does not come with a document of authenticity.
    Francesco

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Wow. 481 prints sold into a population of 25,000? That's darned impressive, Graeme. I'd say you live in an unusual community. While your work is excellent, it's unusual for that high a percentage of people within a community to be sufficiently interested in art to buy it.
    I think the secret is to not market my work as "art", but rather as a memento of the local area. About 70% of my sales to locals occur as they are thinking about leaving town. (Being a mining community, we have a high turnover of population, with about 4500 people leaving each year and being replaced by others. We get sales to about 5-10% of them.)

While we call the shop a "gallery", in reality it is a retail outlet situated in the heart of the retail district of town. We saw no point in setting up a gallery in a little backwater with no passing foot traffic. So, we own a shop, not a gallery. And we sell a product, not "art".

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread: it seems like my slow internet sales are indeed typical, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it any more.

Thanks for your help, and keep the stories coming (especially if you have some positive experiences.)

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My experience has been very similar to what you have described. Last year (2003) I had $57,000 dollars in sales, ...of that $2500 of it was via my website...of that $2500.00 two sales were from people who just happened to be surfing through and found something they couldn't live without. Those two sales totaled $210.00. The rest of the internet sales were from people who had previously seen my work in person and either were not prepared to purchase something when they saw it ...or were waiting to purchase it in a more clandestined manner to give as a gift to their friend/spouse....

I know that my web-site actually reduces my sales. Many people ask if I have a web site and take my card saying that they want to purchase a photo and will do so via my web-site...of course only a very small percentage of those folks actually do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Scott,

Your web site reduces your sales? Ouch! Better get rid of it. However, I think people might be simply trying to say they're not interested in a polite way. Rather than tell you outright, they're saying "I'll think about it and come back later", but of course, never do and never intended to. That's no reflection on your web site's attractiveness or its ability to sell for you - those people were never going to buy in the first place. (BTW, you're not really trying to charge $2000 for shipping on your largest prints, are you?)

Since asking this question last week, I've had a surprising number of phone calls from people who are looking at my web site while they speak to me on the phone. It appears people are using my site as a catalogue to make up their minds before coming into the gallery (which is what I want them to do). Placing the price next to each image seems to be helping my sales in the gallery.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    If I every get to Kalgoorlie, I'll be sure to visit your gallery. You never know where I might show up; just ask Nige and Kevin.
    You'll be made very welcome Robert. We'll even head over the road for a beer or two, served frosty cold by a skimpy barmaid ....

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I can not justify selling large prints at below my costs."

But on eBay you can make up for it by selling in volume!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    There is only one gallery in Stockholm, Sweden that offers fine art photographic prints for sale, and they are not doing that well because Stockholm is too small a market...
    Is this "Galerie Kontrast" (sp?) in Sodermalm? I tried to visit but they were closed -- maybe next time. There are a lot of (art) galleries there, one would think there's a market that just needs an appropriate approach. Perhaps something directly-related to the churches and parks in your portfolios, a way to tap the interest of people who already visit those places?

Just a thought....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Bjorke, this Gallery is Bilder Till Salu (Pictures for Sale) and is located in Östermalm. There are other galleries which may or may not carry photographic prints together with their offered paintings and sculptures, but they are few and far between. I think that Galerie Kontrast is no more (sigh). The direct methods I have tried are more commercial in orientation, e.g. the Stockholm Tourist Board, the Swedish Church, etc. Still waiting for a response. I am also looking into publishing a book but the publishing quality of the work of houses I have canvassed are below par. My feeling is that photography in Stockholm is in general a commercial pursuit. Bilder Till Salu is really the only avenue, at the moment, for marketing photographs as fine art prints in this town. Hence the reason why I get more response via the internet.
    Francesco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin